Will Airplay 2 ever be supported via Surround with Playbar and Ones?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

If one does not have the time, one should probably not use mention of one as a decidedly lame attempt to bend Sonos to your will.

The phrase "put your money where your mouth is" comes to mind.
Smilja, Thanks for the link but that has no further information on the subject than what is already known/discussed.

I will describe the simple software fix. When being driven by the Playbar, my two Ones would operate in Surround mode. When being driven by AirPlay, they would cease being surrounds, and would play as a joined set. If Playbar is actively driving the surrounds, the preferred would be to interrupt the playbar, but I would be fine if the Ones just ignored the airplay request until Playbar stopped sending audio their way. There are probably ten different ways to address that issue, and I would be fine with any of them.

Rob
I will describe the simple software fix. When being driven by the Playbar, my two Ones would operate in Surround mode. When being driven by AirPlay, they would cease being surrounds, and would play as a joined set. If Playbar is actively driving the surrounds, the preferred would be to interrupt the playbar, but I would be fine if the Ones just ignored the airplay request until Playbar stopped sending audio their way. There are probably ten different ways to address that issue, and I would be fine with any of them.
There is no simple fix for it's currently technically not feasible to switch between configurations (i. e. Surround setup vs. Stereo pair).
Wish in one hand . . .
Smilja: what does "for its currently technically not feasible" mean? You mean, without them changing the software? of course!! That is what I am seeking. I give up trying to explain it. I will see if someone from Sonos replies or if they ignore it as they have been for months.
Over the years there have been many requests to reconfigure on the fly for quick transitioning of room configurations; Subs, surrounds etc. Sonos has repeatedly stated it is not possible. Up to you if you believe that or not.
Smilja: what does "for its currently technically not feasible" mean? You mean, without them changing the software? of course!! That is what I am seeking. I give up trying to explain it. I will see if someone from Sonos replies or if they ignore it as they have been for months.
The third-party apps Macronos (Android) and SonoSequencr (iOS) showcase what's currently possible and what's not: predefining of groups - Yes; turning surrounds into stereo pair 'on the fly' and vice versa - No.
Regarding what Sonos said before and at launch, this is Sonos blog from that time:

'Even though AirPlay 2 is only supported on Sonos One, Beam, Playbase and Play:5 (2nd generation), grouping your other speakers to any of these and you can use AirPlay across your entire home sound system. So even non-AirPlay compatible speakers like Playbar or Play:1 can reap the sonic benefits of our AirPlay 2 integration, provided they’re grouped with one of our newer, AirPlay-friendly devices in the Sonos app.'

That accurately describes the position. Group a compatible speaker with the Playbar and you can Airplay 2 to it.
Sonos have stated that it is a hardware limitation that means the Playbar, Play:1 etc cannot be made to work 'natively' with Airplay 2. There is no software fix for that. Could software be written that would change the nature of the connection between surrounds and Playbar from 'bonded' to 'grouped'? Possibly - I don't know. If so, would it be easy and would it be quick? I very much doubt it, given the fundamental difference between bonding and grouping, and the failure of all past requests for such auto-reconfiguration. And then there is Trueplay....

Would the gain, even if possible, justify the development resource? Not in my view, given the options already available.
Badge
@affrae. I don't think anyone was saying that adding Airplay 2 was 'non core activity', as you seem to have interpreted some comments.

@johnb actually, I never thought, said or interpreted that at all - the only time I mentioned the word "core" was asking if Google Home or Alexa was considered core activity by @bockerjv - as they mentioned "core" products and was trying to understand what they meant by that.

The only other thing I said that was even remotely similar to that was that if Google Home or Alexa was Sonos' focus, then great, but that it was not mine.

So forgive me, but I'm not sure where you are coming from - like I said I am not being a disgruntled or angry customer, nor am I accusing Sonos of not supporting, or wanting to support, AirPlay. The functionality as it exists now simply is not available in a way that assists me as I don't need more speakers so I'm just exploring my alternatives, is all.

Let's agree to differ.

yeah no worries, mate - It was just an idea. Definitely not having a go at you.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
It’s a hardware limitation. So it would require a new soundbar or you can group with a speaker that is compatible to bring airplay 2 into the mix.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
It’s a limitation based on the new protocol from Apple. The older hardware will continue to work and have support from Sonos. They have been pretty upfront about what devices will support AP2 and the only confusion has been around grouping older speakers to gain airplay.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
They announced It as soon as they had enough information, it was reliant on Apple. It has nothing to do with software, it’s based on hardware, the older speakers don’t have the memory to support airplay 2 (which Apple have done to prevent buffering). You can buy a One and group it with your system to make it work with airplay. You just can’t do it if the one’s are used as rears since they are bonded with the Playbar and that is the driving force of the setup so it is the speaker that needs to be compatible in that case. I understand the frustration, but it’s not as simple as blaming Sonos.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
That is incorrect. It very much has to do with the protocol as it is a hardware limitation that prevents the playbar from being compatible based on the further memory required by AP2. In a HT setup the playbar is the main component so it won’t work. The main speaker needs to be compatible as that is what will be taking care of airplay and then it will be grouped with other speakers, which will in turn send airplay to those older speakers. It is not something that Sonos has control over to fix.
Badge
As a true Sonos fan I've also been waiting on the arrival of AP2. Love Sonos for updating and renewing things. Now I have my $3,000 set and I'm not able to use AP2. I've just asked Sonos to come with a minimum priced solution for a Sonos One, but reading these messages... not even that will be a satisfying solution at this moment. It's a pity!
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Actually no, it was not clearly stated that everyone understood it. If that is what you are looking for then that is more reasonable.
Badge
I agree with 'azizk' - it will be up to Sonos and maybe Apple to solve this. Let's see what the future will bring!
I just ordered a Playbar and SUB (eBay, so no returns) - and just got two Play Ones for a 5.1 setup. Is the grouping / re-grouping really a hassle? Can I have a 5.1 group for TV and also a "Living Room" group for music?

I also have a Play:5 (separate room), so can I use that as the "Airplay Source" and group it with the 5.1 group?

I've really become a fan of Sonos since setting up my first Connect:AMP, but their home theater product line up is so confusing and weird. I think they should have re-released the Playbar and Playbase with the Beam so it would all be apples to apples.
Technically, that's not 'grouping', that's 'bonding' in Sonos terms. Your 5.1 setup isn't a 'group', it's a 'room'...or zone. Temporarily playing two rooms together is a group, and that is not a hassle. I know it's semantics, but is very easy to get confused about what you can and can't do without Sonos if you aren't careful with the terminology.

Thanks - that was really my question. So I'll have a 5.1 Living Room room, and I can Airplay 2 to another room and then group that room with the Living Room.

I do appreciate the long lifespan of Sonos devices; I just wish the higher end products were updated before or at the same time as the lower end ones.

I see the Sonos Airplay 2 FAQ is now super clear about Playbar compatibility; it's the second question: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/airplay
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos need to put more development into their grouping, stero pairing, surround bonding to make it a lot easier and far quicker, like drag & drop using graphics, like google home or even sonophone for example. Then you could snap bonded surrounds out into a stereo pairs for airplay2 etc., and drop back in for tv watching surround duties.
I agree this could be fixed by making Grouping/bonding much faster/easier, it has anyways been a tiresome affair.

Maybe we can hope they will implement Siri shortcuts for these functions? That would be great, asking Siri to group or bond stereo pair with just one click or phrase
What is the cheapest easiest way to add AirPlay 2 to a Playbar? An Amazon Dot or should I purchase an Apple TV? I only have Sonos in my living room with a Playbar and Play 1s as rear speakers. Any help would be much appreciated. I just need a way to easily and quickly stream music from my iPad and iPhone without using the Sonos app. I don’t need to worry about bonding and unbending. Thank you!
Seems to me that a small, relatively inexpensive Sonos One but without the speaker parts could solve this - it just needs the processing capability.

Just get a few to group one up with each of my legacy systems. I'd buy three of those to get beyond this - but I have no need for Sonos Ones to add more sound as my rooms are already well served there.

Kinda like a Sonos... Dot.

You can still have your surround system as the playbar would be still the master for processing that - the 'Dot' would just pass on anything it gets via AirPlay.

I'd also use one with a pair of 3's in my wife's office and a connect in mine.

Or am I missing something?
Possibly just the economics. Sonos has thrived until now without Airplay. For many it's a 'nice to have', for others (like me) something I would never use. For some its an essential, but presumably not existing customers or they would not be existing customers. And they do have ways of adding it. New customers will have increasing options to stick to Airplay-enabled devices.

So you are asking Sonos to devote scarce resource to developing something that would possibly hit turnover, have a limited useful life and for which there are already workarounds.

So an interesting idea but I wouldn't hold your breath. Just my opinion.
Badge
Hi John B!

Thanks for your response. That makes sense.

In response, I'd propose that the majority of the work has already been done - the very fact they developed some airplay compatible new hardware would suggest they see some business in it.

Just needs a form factor that loses the speaker part. And use the same logic board already in existence.

Given that I just offered to buy three and this whole AirPlay thing has been going on for a while, it seems they are leaving money on the table.

I'm not going to turn over my gear as it is all less than two years old. I'm sure I'm not the only one and it seems that they are missing revenue from me and others.

Another option I have is that I drop all my Sonos and sell it on eBay for cheap - which could cost Sonos an additional customer in the short term. I'd really not rather do that.

I'd also say that the smart speaker functionality is also a nice to have that many wouldn't use either, however it is also on the table. I do concede that there may be more smart speaker supporters here than AirPlay ones.

It was just an idea. If it isn't possible that would be sad. I'd like to continue to support Sonos. But I'm years away from buying more speakers. I'd preorder a 'Sonos Dot' or three tomorrow.
As I said, it is an interesting idea, and certainly worth floating and discussing. Neither of us knows for sure whether it's a good idea or not.

But this talk of even thinking of dumping Sonos over this is TOTALLY illogical. Can we review the facts here? Sonos has added functionality where it can, at zero cost to the customer. Everybody has at least as much as they had before, for the money they thought was worth it. Some have added functionality, others have added options. So if a person was not contemplating dumping Sonos before they added Airplay for free, why would that person think about doing so afterwards?