Answered

why doesn’t sonos support true 3.1 or 5.1 configurations?!

As nice as the playbar and playbase are with the sub, imagine how great the home theater sound would be with 2 play 5 gen 2 as front speaker and 2 play one sl as rears. Why in the world does Sonos not support this?!?!

icon

Best answer by jgatie 23 May 2020, 00:56

Sorry, I was indeed including the playbar or playbase as a center speaker in the setup making for a 3.1 or 5.1. And while the soundbar and playbase have individual speakers for each channel the seperation is too smal even with the tech they use to create the illusion of seperation. It works for smaller rooms but not for mine. I’d think it’d be technically simple and feasible for Sonos to allow this and it would give their customers much more flexibility, AND THEY’D SELL MORE SPEAKERS!!! Sorry, had to get my frustration out ;-)

No inside information, but some things point to it being a bandwidth issue, such as no multi-channel LPCM (a very bandwidth heavy codec) for the Arc. Just like having more data in the codec, having several more discrete channels going out over the WIFi just may be pushing the limits on reliability due to lack of bandwidth.  

View original

4 replies

While separate speakers would be a great addition, Sonos does already have true 3.1 and 5.1 solutions using their sound bars. Each one has individual speakers for each channel. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Aside from what you describe being a 4.1 setup, I agree that a HT device that allows 3 separate speakers for front - which will give potential for a great wide sound-stage - plus a pair of rear effects and sub, does appeal!

Sorry, I was indeed including the playbar or playbase as a center speaker in the setup making for a 3.1 or 5.1. And while the soundbar and playbase have individual speakers for each channel the seperation is too smal even with the tech they use to create the illusion of seperation. It works for smaller rooms but not for mine. I’d think it’d be technically simple and feasible for Sonos to allow this and it would give their customers much more flexibility, AND THEY’D SELL MORE SPEAKERS!!! Sorry, had to get my frustration out ;-)

No inside information, but some things point to it being a bandwidth issue, such as no multi-channel LPCM (a very bandwidth heavy codec) for the Arc. Just like having more data in the codec, having several more discrete channels going out over the WIFi just may be pushing the limits on reliability due to lack of bandwidth.