Question

Which Choice for Rear Speakers

• 24 January 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hello Fellow Sonos Lovers-

So about a year ago, I discovered the world of Sonos and fell in love with it.  Since them I have SLOOOOWLY amassing my dream surround sound for movies and sports.  So far I have scrapped enough money for a playbar and subwoofer.   My final goal is rear speakers.   So as of right now, i can get a pair of 1's (missus is of Alexa listening in) or get a single play 5 now, and save for the other pair for later.  By the way, id say we have a mid-size living room with a tall ceiling.

If those who say go with the 5, where do i place it for the best effect for movies and sports till I get the other 5?

Thanks to all those who replies.

7 replies

Badge

Im sorry, i meant to say " my missus is AFRAID of Alexa listening in".

One SL’s.  Same guts as the Sonos One minus the Alexa microphones, at a lesser price.  

Sonos One SL

Buy them by the pair

Userlevel 7

Hi bohdisattva

Great that you are enjoying Sonos. IMO using Play 5’s as surrounds is overkill. You get the same enjoyment for surround material with a pair of Sonos One SL’s which do not have Alexa or Google voice assistant. BTW you cannot bond a single Sonos speaker as a surround they must be in pairs.

Also, know that in the Sonos app you can set the surround speakers to play at full-on stereo for music and auto switch back to surround mode for movies.  If you are a music lover and like it loud...then there is the only reason I can see to install Play 5’s as surrounds.

Regarding placement...surrounds if on stands should be to the left/right of seating area and no more than a foot behind it if space permits. If mounting on a wall they should be no more than 6 feet above the seating area left/right and angled downward.

Use Trueplay with an iOS device to tune the speakers (Playbar, sub and surrounds or any combination of the latter two with the Playbar) to the room environment.

I hope this answers your question.  Cheers!

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Pick the one with the most RAM you can afford to avoid legacy the longest. (ie not Play5, One is better than One SL)

Userlevel 7

@NeedSleep 

The Sonos One is not necessarily better than the One SL. Certainly not sonically speaking. The chart can be a bit misleading as you must account for Alexa and Google voice assistants that require RAM and storage for the Sonos One that is not required for the One SL.

@NeedSleep

The Sonos One is not necessarily better than the One SL. Certainly not sonically speaking. The chart can be a bit misleading as you must account for Alexa and Google voice assistants that require RAM and storage for the Sonos One that is not required for the One SL.

Great answer Aj!

Userlevel 7

@NeedSleep

Great answer Aj!

Thanks! Really appreciate the support (from everyone) :slight_smile: