Answered

What sonos components can be used in home theatre setup?

The sonos web site is awful in terms of information.

I want to know if the sonos connect, connect:Amp, port and/or amp can be used for the front 2 channels of a home theatre setup.  I plan on using a sub and pair of play 3 for the rear channels.

I cannot find the info.  Under home theatre, none of the above connect, connect:Amp, port and/or amp are listed.  But I can find where the connect:amp and amp are listed elsewhere for the rear channels of a home theatre setup but not the front!  can someone help provide the info or links?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by jgatie 4 May 2020, 23:49

Only the Amp can be used as fronts in a home theater setup.  The others do not have an HDMI input.

View original

10 replies

Only the Amp can be used as fronts in a home theater setup.  The others do not have an HDMI input.

And the Amp is designed first and foremost as a hifi amp, which is perhaps why it doesn't feature primarily under HT.

Thanks!   It looks like I cannot do a HT setup. I have an Apple TV 4k into a Optoma UHD60 projector.  So the UHD60 doesnt have an ARC so I  cannot get 5.1 out.  Since the Sonos Amp doesnt have a second HDMI out, to do what I want will require a 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 splitter to send one signal to the projector, the second to the input of the sonos amp.  Seems like a lot of work.  Too bad I cant send the audio wirelessly to the sonos amp or port. Sonos should have put an HDMI connector on the port. Oh well. Thanks for the info. 

That Optoma has optical audio output, and Sonos sells this:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/optical-audio-adapter.html

Userlevel 7

Hi @whodiini 

The Connect:Amp is a discontinued product. Although you can use it in a Home Theater setup make sure it is a Connect:Amp (Gen2).

The Connect:Amp (Gen1) will split your system once the Sonos S2 software is launched. Click here for more information on S2 and legacy products. 

Also I can’t tell you how to identify a Connect:Amp (Gen2 vs Gen1); maybe someone else can. :thinking:  

For my money I’d go with the Sonos Amp and follow the suggestion given by @jgatie.

Hmm  what a great idea!  Would this work:  HDMI to Optoma, SPDIF from Optoma out to wireless SPDIF transmitter → Receiver with SPDIF output → sonus SPDIF to HDMI → sonos amp → front channels of speakers for 5.1.  Then sonos amp → play 5 rear channels?  If so, that would work!

AjTrek1 - How can you use the Connect:Amp Gen 2 in a home theatre setup if it doesnt have HDMI in?  Some component needs to translate a 5.1 signal and send it to the front and rear speakers. So I dont get how it functions in a home theatre setup?

Userlevel 7

Hi @whodiini 

Use the KISS approach “Keep It Simple Stupid” :slight_smile:

1. HDMI source to Optoma HDMI-in *
  2. Optical out from Optoma to Sonos Amp using adapter suggested by @jgatie 
  3. Bond Play 5’s as surrounds to Sonos Amp
  4. Bond Sonos Sub to Sonos Amp or connect 3rd party sub to Sonos Amp 

* You may need a HDMI splitter if you have multiple sources

Cheers!

I see.  Found the gotcha - my Optoma UHD60 outputs only 2 channel PCM thru the SPDIF.  So that means there is no 5.1 signal to the Sonos Amp.   Looks like only a HDMI splitter will work. Oh well. Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 7

AjTrek1 - How can you use the Connect:Amp Gen 2 in a home theatre setup if it doesnt have HDMI in?  Some component needs to translate a 5.1 signal and send it to the front and rear speakers. So I dont get how it functions in a home theatre setup?

Oops...I forgot to qualify that it can be used to power 3rd party speakers used as surrounds.