Answered

Weak sound from surround when using ARC

• 10 February 2019
  • 9 replies

I have set Up a surroundsystem using 1 Beam and 2 One.
The Beam is connected through ARC to the tv and it works with the surround but there is barely any sound coming from the 2 One.

Any tips, explanations?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 February 2019, 00:44

The Sonos won't send a lot of data to surrounds when it's getting a Stereo signal. There will be a little, but not much, as it has to interpret surround data from the stereo signal, so it is a lot like the old Dolby Digital Pro signal, except less.

It has to be showing Dolby Digital for you to get anything like what you would expect for a surround speaker. And, as Ken has indicated, the Sonos will not interpret a DTS signal, so all of the devices that feed the TV, in addition to the TV itself, have to be set to send Dolby Digital only, and nothing else. Like Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, etc. Only Dolby Digital.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

What does the Sonos controller indicate the signal is that it is receiving?

Go to settings>About My Sonos System and tell us what it says under the Beam's data on the line that starts with "Audio In".
Stereo
If i choose Dolby digital it displays it. If i turn off my tv and activate it again Sonos says Stereo instead of DTS.
It works a Little better now but its nothing compared to playing from my phone.
Maybe its just the spotify app (TV) messing with me?
If i choose Dolby digital it displays it. If i turn off my tv and activate it again Sonos says Stereo instead of DTS.
It works a Little better now but its nothing compared to playing from my phone.
The Sonos Beam does not support the DTS codec, I hope you realise that?
Maybe its just the spotify app (TV) messing with me?Spotify will only play in stereo, it’s a music service, so unlikely to use your surrounds as those are for rear left/right channels only.

To test your surround sound, I would suggest perhaps using Netflix, or Amazon Prime with movies that support DD5.1

Hope that helps.?
The Sonos won't send a lot of data to surrounds when it's getting a Stereo signal. There will be a little, but not much, as it has to interpret surround data from the stereo signal, so it is a lot like the old Dolby Digital Pro signal, except less.

It has to be showing Dolby Digital for you to get anything like what you would expect for a surround speaker. And, as Ken has indicated, the Sonos will not interpret a DTS signal, so all of the devices that feed the TV, in addition to the TV itself, have to be set to send Dolby Digital only, and nothing else. Like Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, etc. Only Dolby Digital.
Iam so dumb, thanks for the help 🙂
Not dumb! It's a complex system, that you only have to deal with generally once, and then can forget.

You're most welcome. 🙂