Answered

Watch TV with Sonos Move.

• 16 September 2020
  • 7 replies

I just got a Sonos Move and love it, however, I’m having difficulty connecting it to my TV. I have a Samsung UN65MU8000 which allows Bluetooth speaker connections. When I try to pair it, it just gives me an error. I’ve had no issues pairing the Move to my phone. But it just doesn’t want to pair to my TV. Any thoughts? I’ve verified both softwares are up to date. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by John B 16 September 2020, 23:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Not sure why you have the problems but even if you do get this to work, the buffering that Sonos use to ensure smooth multi-room audio will introduce significant lip sync issues.  You will need a Beam, Arc or Amp for a TV.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @MBPadilla.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I could not agree more with @UKMedia . Let me share with you the link to the Sonos Move that has all the information about its functionality, limitation, and specification. Sonos Move is not part of the Sonos Home theater family. Here is the list of the Sonos devices and the corresponding links to their functionality, limitation, and specification that are capable of connecting directly to your TV.

1. Sonos Beam
  2. Sonos Playbar
  3. Sonos Playbase
  4. Sonos Amp
  5. Sonos Arc

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Sorry but I am not sure I agree with the previous replies. If the Move is being used as a BT speaker it is just a dumb standalone speaker. I don't think buffering comes into it.

I  can think of three possible explanations but there are probably others. 

1. You have the Move in Wifi mode

2. The Move is still paired to your phone and the phone is in range

3. The BT codec used by the TV is not one that the Move supports. 

After a quick look at the TV manual, there is another possibility- the manual says that the BT functionality is not available in some geographic areas.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sorry but I am not sure I agree with the previous replies. If the Move is being used as a BT speaker it is just a dumb standalone speaker. I don't think buffering comes into it.

I  can think of three possible explanations but there are probably others. 

1. You have the Move in Wifi mode

2. The Move is still paired to your phone and the phone is in range

3. The BT codec used by the TV is not one that the Move supports. 

@John B - Oops, you are right there in BT mode. Sorry OP. :flushed:

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

The other thing the manual says is that if you ever turned on “wireless Surround” by pairing the TV with the Samsung Wi-Fi speakers, it won’t pair with Bluetooth unless you turn off the Surround feature.  (Yes, this is also a long shot like “not in your geographic area”, but it’s the only other caveat the manual offers.)  A way to test if it’s Sonos’ Bluetooth fault is to try pairing with a cheap pair of Bluetooth earphones.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @John B.

Thanks for some clarifications on this topic. It made much more sense and that is why we sometimes recommend reaching out to other members of the community for situations like this. If the TV would connect to the Sonos Move via Bluetooth it may literally work. Though we do not recommend, first-hand experience in such situations may still have a positive outcome on non-recommended set up cause it may or may not work.

Thanks again.