Volume not working on Playbar - Cox Contour Voice Remote

• 15 July 2018
  • 4 replies

I cannot get my Cox Contour Remote to control the audio of my Playbar any longer - it used to work. I have tried a) changing the code my remote broadcasts to, b) changed my remote to a brand new one and c) re-trained my Sonos app to receive the Cox signal 4 times and then ran an update of my Sonos system and then tried to re-train it again, 3 times. I believe everything has been tried. It no longer controls the volume level.  

(I have 3 Playbars and the other two work well)

- Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I see a similar issue. I have to be within 5 feet or so for the remote to control my playbar. used to work across the room before the last update I think.:(:(
Has there been any solution to this problem?

I have the same problem. But there seems to be a lack of helpful responses!! :(

Honestly, I don’t recall seeing this thread five months ago. Not having a Cox Contour remote makes it hard to “know” an answer, but there’s a couple of generic things I’d be looking at.

One is if the remote is set up to use IR, rather than RF. The “voice control” remotes that I know of all use RF, rather than IR, and the Sonos can only “see” IR.

Second, I’ve seen where firmware updates for TVs appear to reset/reprogram the remotes, so I’m wondering if a firmware update to the Cox device might have turned off IR in an update.

That’s at least where I’d be starting. Make sure the remote is actually emitting an IR signal, and reprogram the Sonos to “see” that signal.

If that didn’t work, I’d certainly be getting in touch with Sonos Support directly to discuss it. Based on the number of responses to this thread, it seems like it’s unlikely you’re going to get a good answer from the community.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.