Answered

Volume fluctuating/inconsistent when watching TV (Beam)

• 23 January 2019
  • 5 replies

I recently bought a Sonos Beam soundbar and love the quality of sound from it. However, I have noticed the volume fluctuates quite a bit regardless of the audio source.

I can be watching tennis or a movie and the volume is fine at '3' or '4' (out of '100'). Other times it needs to be at '33' or '34'. One time, the volume was at '0' (no, not muted) but sound was still clearly coming out.

Anyone else having this problem? I notice it as well when we stream content via Apple TV (aka it's not just a 'cable' problem).

The only way I can 'fix' this problem is by opening the app every time it happens (which is frankly too often) and zeroing out the volume by turning it all the way down and then slowly, one-by-one, using the TV remote to increase it to the desired level.

I definitely had thoughts about buying additional Sonos One's to make the system true surround-sound but if I have to constantly reset/restart the volume each time I use it, it kinda turns me off from the idea of owning anything Sonos.

PS I haven't noticed it quite as much with listening to Spotify, but that might be because it's still so new to me. Oh, and our TV is putting out audio with the optical audio-to-HDMI adapter and cable (TV model is Vizio E701iA3) if that helps at all.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 January 2019, 19:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I've got a Vizio M701d-A3.

In the Audio settings for the TV, I have it set to "Volume Control: External, Digital Audio Out: Bitstream: Analog Audio out: Fixed.

I don't seem to have the issues you're experiencing. Sure, there's a slight volume difference when switching from TV to streaming, but it isn't a constant amount, nor is it substantial.
Hi Airgetlam,

Thank you for your help. It's not so much the volume fluctuating between sources but fluctuating as far as volume levels. I was able to set up the 'Digital Audio Out' to Dolby Digital and 'Analog Audio Out' to Fixed. However, I couldn't find the 'Volume Control' setting...

Also, I am currently DMing with a Sonos Support Team rep (who has been great by the way) about trying to resolve this problem. Originally we thought it might be due to the optical audio out adapter instead of the TV's HDMI ARC.

I have since switched to the HDMI ARC but the problem still persists. Somehow the volume proportions aren't syncing up- sometimes when the TV reads '0' there is still sound coming out of the Beam and sometimes when the TV reads some random value, '13,' there is no volume. :/

I'll stay working with the Support Rep and if/when we hopefully find a resolution I will post it here. Thank you!!
Good luck, from all reports those phone folks are good people.

Just remember, the TV's volume should not have any relationship to the Sonos volume. So if the TV reads 13, it just doesn't make any difference, it's what the Sonos volume is (which does not show up on the TV at all).
I'm wondering if there was a resolution on this with the Sonos tech you were on the phone with kristophersid. I have this same issue and it seems to have just started occurring in the last week or so and no changes to my home setup have occurred. I'd be curious to hear how it turned out for you!
Second EmmieA inquiry...Also very interested if Kristophersid was able to learn any more from support tech. I've recently purchased a Beam and love it...but i'm regularly toggling volume while watching... Any insights would be greatly appreciated.