Volume control using Samsung Smart TV remote?

• 24 April 2013
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
Calling all Samsung Smart TV Plasma/ LED owners - I think there are several here. I have a PN51F8500A 3D Plasma and UN55F8000BFXZA 3D LED but both remotes would not work to control Sonos Playbar volume control. I wonder whether any of you manage to set yours up? :o

Sonos brand is also not included in the Home Theater set up on the Samsung TV. I did try setting up by using other brands (I have a Sony blu ray player so I chosed other brands except Samsung and Sony) but all attempts failed. :o

I hope someone from Sonos can help with this too. Thanks. 🆒

10 replies

Playbar should recognise your remotes' IR codes. Either it will have the code set in its database and retrieves it when you press the remote's Volume Up, or you must train it using all three buttons (Vol+/-, Mute).

If you're having problems I suggest you contact Sonos directly via http://www.sonos.com/support/. You can also post on http://ask.sonos.com
joshall,

Let's make sure that we are barking at the right dog and the correct end of that dog.

PLAYBAR must be trained to react to a set of vol+/Vol-/Mute commands. it really does not matter which set of commands. For most users, these commands will probably be sent from the cable box remote. For maximum convenience the cable box remote should be configured to control the TV. This allows the TV Power command on the remote to operate the TV. Once the cable box remote is configured, setup PLAYBAR to use the Vol+/Vol-/Mute from the cable box remote. Done.

If you are the first person to configure a certain TV model, you may need to use the PLAYBAR IR learning feature. Here you will enter all three codes and they will be added to an online database for others to use. I'm sure that your SAMSUNG codes are already in the database.

You'll want to turn OFF the TV's speakers. Note that some of the SAMSUNG's will display an irritating message if the TV's speakers are turned OFF and it receives a Volume command. Some earlier sets will actually crash (a TV firmware update fixes this). In this case you can train the cable remote and the SONOS system to use any TV volume command -- other than the TV's own commands. The only down side to this is that the cable box remote's TV Power command will not be valid for the TV at hand.

For a while I was using PLAYBAR with one of the crashing SAMSUNG's. As a workaround I used a remote from a SONY TV that was recycled more than a decade ago. Now that the SAMSUNG's firmware is fixed, I can use the SAMSUNG's own remote, but I have the nagging popup on this model. Hopefully, another SAMSUNG firmware update will disable that message.
Userlevel 2
Sounds good, my cable box remote is actually set up to control the TV. But I don't want to use the remote anymore because it is bulky. I am trying to control everything from the Samsung remote.
I just updated my firmware on my TV; it is the 1015 version.
Let me try your methods and update you on this. Thanks.
You'll want to turn OFF the TV's speakers. Note that some of the SAMSUNG's will display an irritating message if the TV's speakers are turned OFF and it receives a Volume command. Some earlier sets will actually crash (a TV firmware update fixes this). In this case you can train the cable remote and the SONOS system to use any TV volume command -- other than the TV's own commands. The only down side to this is that the cable box remote's TV Power command will not be valid for the TV at hand.

In this case, most cable remotes have an AUX button you can program to any device (such as any popular A/V receiver brand). You can then set the remote's "Volume Lock", which locks the volume to one device, no matter the device button chosen. Lock the volume to the AUX, train the Playbar with the reassigned volume control, and the nag screen will disappear.
In this case, most cable remotes have an AUX button ...

Yes, that's true, but in my area there is a new breed of cable box without the AUX function -- unless you pay extra for a step-up remote.
Yes, that's true, but in my area there is a new breed of cable box without the AUX function -- unless you pay extra for a step-up remote.

First you pay extra for bags on an airplane, now this! 😉
Userlevel 2
Tried the +/1/MUTE buttons. All not working.
Just asked the Sonos support, will be waiting for the reply. Thanks.
Userlevel 2
All,
I think this will help. [ ... ]

Duplicate post, see http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=34910
Userlevel 2
This solution here might help:

abhishekdev.wordpress.com/2013/06/10/configure-sonos-playbar-with-samsung-f8500-plasma-tv/
Userlevel 2
Did you get resolution with Sonos support?