Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound

• 8 January 2015
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15
  • Headliner I
  • 1032 replies
This idea was visited a year ago here: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/playbar_7_1_surround_sound_support_w_play_3s_and_or_connect_amps_for_surrounds_and_rears Can we please have this feature, so either 4 play 3's or 4 Play 1's or two connect:amp. So layout would be: Front PlayBar Subwoofer 2 Plays side for surround sound 2 Plays rear stereo paired So currently you add two Plays to PlayBar as SS, so update to also add stereo pair rear to create virtaul 7.1.

4 replies

In addition, I would suggest a possibility to configure two Play as an additional front stereo pair to the Playbar (valid for both 5.1 and 7.1). As I understand, this can partly be achieved already today by grouping a stereo pair together with the Playbar. However, there may be a voice sync issue from the TV. By adding a dedicated configuration for a stereo pair together with the Playbar the potential sync issue should be solved. Of course, the intention of this extra feature is to give provision for a better stereo separation (compared with the relative narrow Playbar), that I can see is wanted by others.
In addition, I would suggest a possibility to configure two Play as an additional front stereo pair to the Playbar (valid for both 5.1 and 7.1). As I understand, this can partly be achieved already today by grouping a stereo pair together with the Playbar. However, there may be a voice sync issue from the TV. By adding a dedicated configuration for a stereo pair together with the Playbar the potential sync issue should be solved. Of course, the intention of this extra feature is to give provision for a better stereo separation (compared with the relative narrow Playbar), that I can see is wanted by others.

Another, or an additional solution could be a new product. As an alternative to the Playbar maybe a chassis of a Play 5 could be used as the base for a front-center speaker in a surround system. Such a player, perhaps called "Play 5 Surround", would be the heart of the surround system. All configurations of other players as a front stereo pair, surround satellites, and an optionally rear stereo pair (7.1), would be configured from this new player. 😉
Userlevel 2
Come on SONOS 7.1 and 7.2 Surround Sound is already years old, 9.1 & 9.2 seen as its update,

A SONOS 7.1 system would be very much in demand, loads of questions on here already about producing it, Id buy today if it was available, 7.1 channels with that SUB, awesome, come on SONOS make us even happier,...
I actually just sent a suggestion for a 7.1 system as broadly described above to the Sonos customer help line and was redirected here. I currently use the 5.1 system (Playbar / Sub / and 2 Play Ones) and would like the opportunity to enhance the front stereo image by the addition of a pair of Play 5s. I suggest Play 5s as we often use the system to play music and this would give a great sound (I would buy the new 5s). Additionally there could be alternative options (there is one currently) for the setup in music playing mode. These being Playbar - off; front pair and Sub - main stereo image and rears - either surround or working in parallel with the front pair. Obviously in TV mode this would only be simulated 7.1 until someone starts transmitting it but nice all the same. I have, in another room, 2 Play 5s and a sub for music only and that system sounds great with Deezer Flac or my own server Flac rips. At the end of the day, the '7.1' option is just a software addition but with the potential for Sonos to sell lots more units so why not - a win / win!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings