Answered

Video & Sonos Speakers

• 7 December 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi!

Setup:  

Basement: 5.1 Home theater  with Pioneer  VSX832  Airplay connected via Apple TV 

Main level: 4 Sonos one’s & Samsung Frame TV

Upper Level, Master: Sonos Beam 3 Sonos one’s Sony xbr950g TV

Challenges:

Basement-

When Football games are on, during commercial breaks, I want to keep the TV on with the commercials but switch the sound from the TV to music. 

Can I add Sonos connect to my amp to play music while the cable is on?  I want to mimic the behavior of Sonos beam, I can do this in my master bedroom today (watch cable (muted) while playing music from the Sonos speakers).

Main Level:

I want to play music video’s from YouTube music on my Samsung frame and hear the music from the Sonos one speakers not the tv.  When I do this with AirPlay, the video does not play on the TV only the sound plays from the TV and the rest of the Sonos speakers.

Can I add Sonos connect to my Samsung TV to allow me to play video and then send the sound from the TV to the Sonos speakers of my choosing?  I can do this in my master bedroom today with the beam I am able to send the TV sound to any and all my Sonos speakers.  I want my frame to have the same capability.   I don’t really care about the sound quality from watching cable- the tv isn’t a primary watching tv but when i have parties it would be really fun to have a playlist of music videos playing on it while the sound goes through the Sonos system.   I wish airplay supported video groups!!  

Upper level (master)  It’s perfect. I just want the rest of my house to behave like the upper level.  

If anyone knows how to solve for this or has feedback on using Sonos connect, I would appreciate your thoughts/insights and suggestions!!  

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 10 December 2019, 00:56

Hi eliza7654, a Connect or a Port in the basement should be able to accomplish what you’re looking to do. Just make sure that your receiver/amp can take multiple inputs. You’d need to use the remote for that Pioneer to change which source it’s listening too as well. Since you use AirPlay at home, you’d might be happier with a Port since it has AirPlay 2 capabilities which the Connect doesn’t.

As to the main level, I’m not entirely sure on that one as I haven’t dealt with that TV. Ultimately, if your Sonos speakers are being used as an AirPlay device, they should just be taking the audio, not the video. The best solution may just be a Beam hooked up to that TV, but maybe there’s someone on the community with another suggestion.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi eliza7654, a Connect or a Port in the basement should be able to accomplish what you’re looking to do. Just make sure that your receiver/amp can take multiple inputs. You’d need to use the remote for that Pioneer to change which source it’s listening too as well. Since you use AirPlay at home, you’d might be happier with a Port since it has AirPlay 2 capabilities which the Connect doesn’t.

As to the main level, I’m not entirely sure on that one as I haven’t dealt with that TV. Ultimately, if your Sonos speakers are being used as an AirPlay device, they should just be taking the audio, not the video. The best solution may just be a Beam hooked up to that TV, but maybe there’s someone on the community with another suggestion.

Badge

Thank you!  What is “port”?

For the basement I will get an optical splitter with an output switch.  

Unfortunately  for the main level I don’t want any speakers in view so I can’t get a beam.  I just want to transmit the sound from the tv (mostly music) to the Sonos speakers throughout the house.  

Port;

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/port.html

Badge

Ah the new connect. Thank you! 

Yes, indeed it is ;) You’re most welcome!