Video/audio drops with Beam connected via ARC

• 19 October 2020
  • 7 replies

A couple weeks ago, I installed a new Beam on my mom’s Vizio V505-G9 TV.  Worked great.  Then about 3 days ago, it started acting weird.  At a certain point, the TV screen goes black and audio cuts out for a few seconds.  The video comes back, along with TV audio after a few seconds, then the Beam kicks back in and all is well.  Until about 60-90 seconds later, when the process repeats itself.

I’ve replaced HDMI cables, verified that it’s not her Xfinity service (happen while using Roku as well), and disconnected the Beam.  The TV has no issues without the Beam connected.  I’ve powered off everything and back on, which makes it happy for 10-15 minutes, but then the problem resumes.

Has anyone else encountered problems where the video gets interrupted as well as sound?  It seemed to me like there was an overload or something on the outputs and it was causing a reset of some kind.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

When you say you powered off the TV, do you mean turning it off with a remote or a button on the TV, or do you mean unplugging it from the wall for two minutes?

Have you checked for updated software from Vizio? The last update I got from Vizio on my TV messed with some settings, which turned off ARC completely, so it’s worth double checking them, just to be sure after you apply them. 

I’m inclined to agree with your assessment that there’s an issue in the TV when passing an ARC signal out, but Sonos is fairly passive in that connection. The only data it’s passing back to the TV is that it exists as a speaker, and that it accepts Stereo and Dolby Digital signals. It is up to the electronics in the TV to accept that info, process it, and pass it back to any connected devices. 

I’d be talking with Vizio, although my last experience with their customer support folks was less than stellar. 

On the remote chance it is a Sonos issue, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis. 

When you say you powered off the TV, do you mean turning it off with a remote or a button on the TV, or do you mean unplugging it from the wall for two minutes?

I actually turned off the power strip that powered the TV, Xfinity box, the Roku, and the Sonos.  I left it off for a few minutes, then powered it back up.

After doing other research, I’m thinking that there may be a CRC conflict of some kind between the Xfinity box and the Sonos.  I’m going to try plugging in a dongle that blocks the CRC from the Sonos to see if that helps anything.

Worst case, I can jack it into the optical and just train the Sonos to take input from her Xfinity remote.  Not my favorite solution, but it should work.

Thanks!

Dave

Good, that’s what is needed to reboot the OS on the TV. Many people tend to assume turning off a tV means using the remote, which doesn’t actually turn off the TV. 

It’s possible that there is a CEC issue with the xFinity...every one of them I’ve had to deal with at friends’ homes seem to be troublesome. Fortunately, those CEC dongle/blockers are a cheap test. I’m afraid I’m a DirecTV user for many, many years. 

I am running into this issue with a Sonos Arc with a Vizio e65-e1.  

Basically when connected via hdmi 1 arc the tv goes black for a few second, sound stops and then it comes back for a bit and then drops.  It repeats indefinitely.

I got around it with using optical.  This is quite annoying.

I checked for system updates for Visio and there were none.

I got around it with using optical.  This is quite annoying.

Yep.  That’s what I had to do.  Fortunately, I could train the Sonos to respond to the Xfinity remote, so all is well.  Still annoying though.

A couple weeks ago, I installed a new Beam on my mom’s Vizio V505-G9 TV.  Worked great.  Then about 3 days ago, it started acting weird.  At a certain point, the TV screen goes black and audio cuts out for a few seconds.  The video comes back, along with TV audio after a few seconds, then the Beam kicks back in and all is well.  Until about 60-90 seconds later, when the process repeats itself.

I’ve replaced HDMI cables, verified that it’s not her Xfinity service (happen while using Roku as well), and disconnected the Beam.  The TV has no issues without the Beam connected.  I’ve powered off everything and back on, which makes it happy for 10-15 minutes, but then the problem resumes.

Has anyone else encountered problems where the video gets interrupted as well as sound?  It seemed to me like there was an overload or something on the outputs and it was causing a reset of some kind.

Yes! I have exactly this setup and this problem. I did fix the video drop part of the problem by going into Vizio advanced video settings and making some changes, but the audio still drops for 5-10 seconds at a time, frequently. I can rewind what I’m watching, and the missed part of the audio will play the second time around, but it still keeps dropping. I have tried every audio setting that seemed remotely pertinent, to no effect. I have turned off the tv speakers, as apparently there can be a signal conflict if sound is set to come from both devices. The Beam works fine when tv is not on. The problem occurs with live tv, recorded shows, and content from firestick. It is very frustrating. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Not much help but I have a Vizio G658-G1 connected via CEC to a Beam and twice now,  the TV has simply turned off.  No rhyme or reason.  I’ve had the TV for quite a while so this behavior is new.