Question

Using only a Playbase for television sound

• 7 September 2017
  • 10 replies

Badge
I am thinking about buying a Playbase for my Panasonic SmartTV. Currently there is a PLAY:1 close to my tv, to stream internet radio and iTunes from NAS.
Main reason to replace the PLAY:1 with a Playbase, would be to have much better sound then the default flatscreen audio while watching television. While at the same time keeping the features of the PLAY:1 in my living room (internet radio and iTunes from NAS).
When watching telivision it's mainly digital tv (HDMI) and the occasional NetFlix and YouTube (both apps on SmartTv). We do not use BlueRay or game console.
My first thinking was to buy a second PLAY:1 for the other side of the television and configure them as a stereo pair. However, by research and this community I learned that this is not an option for my television sound.
Without trying to outsmart the Sonos system, I would be ready to consider buying a Playbase. If I would buy the Playbase, it would be that single Sonos product in my living room. So no PLAY:1's for the back and certainly not a SUB for true 5.1 sound. First of all because I do no wish to spend +1000 euroos for living room audio. Second, my wife will never allow a SUB on the floor of our living room.
Can someone confirm if ...

1. Digital tv coming from the provider's setup box via HDMI will be send via the Optical audio port over the optical cable to the PlayBase speakers, I will enjoy stereo audio? The digital tv uses only Dolby Digital during certain movies on-demand, so be default it's only stereo I assume.
2. When watching Netflix via the offical app on the Panasonic SmartTV, I will listen to stereo audio?
3. When watching YouTube via the official app on the Panasonic SmartTV, I will listen stereo audio?
4. The Playbase can be used as a single spreaker to stream from internet radio and iTunes from NAS?
5. Using only the Playbase offer nice quality sound from my tv, comparable as the sound from stereo paired PLAY:1's?

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Badge
How can I find out if my Panasonic SmartTV is compatible with the Sonos Playbase?
My television is a Panasonic LED TV VIERA TX-55AS640
https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/televisions/4KTV/tx-55as640.specs.html

Via research on this commuity I learned about two major requirements:
1. The television must have an Digital Audio Output (Optical).
Which my television has.
2. In order to enjoy Dolby Digital 5.1 sound, the television has to pass through from HDMI to the optical output.
But how can I find this out?
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
You can check rtings.com to see if there's a review of your TV. That's how I found out mine doesn't pass through 5.1. However I'm curious why you're worried about that since you won't be doing a 5.1 setup.
Badge
You can check rtings.com to see if there's a review of your TV. That's how I found out mine doesn't pass through 5.1. However I'm curious why you're worried about that since you won't be doing a 5.1 setup.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunate Panasonic is not listed anymore ...
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Given you only want PLAYBASE for stereo TV audio, combined with Sonos music, it will likely meet your needs very well given you won't be using blu-ray etc.

If you're planning only stereo playback I'm not sure there is any importance to your TVs ability to pass-thru 5.1 signals.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Second, my wife will never allow a SUB on the floor of our living room.

Basically everything is already covered, so I wanted to call out this item.

The Sub is very versatile in placement. It can be placed anywhere in the room as it's wireless, you'll just need to plug it in. You could even stash it sideways under a couch.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Second, my wife will never allow a SUB on the floor of our living room.

Basically everything is already covered, so I wanted to call out this item.

The Sub is very versatile in placement. It can be placed anywhere in the room as it's wireless, you'll just need to plug it in. You could even stash it sideways under a couch.

I disagree, I wouldn't recommend putting the sub anywhere behind the front half of the room. Usually the sofa is in the rear of the room and the placement is all wrong. I've also never seen a sofa that has room for SUB underneath.
I happen to have a SUB under my couch (IKEA), and my bed. Both function quite well.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I happen to have a SUB under my couch (IKEA), and my bed. Both function quite well.

Interesting, I find SUB quite easy to locate by ear and it wouldn't work well for me in the rear half of the room. Perhaps lying it on its side helps the acoustics in some way?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I've also never seen a sofa that has room for SUB underneath.

I'll just take that to mean you don't look underneath most sofas.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I've also never seen a sofa that has room for SUB underneath.

I'll just take that to mean you don't look underneath most sofas.

No, the sofas in my world have a sprung base.