Answered

Using current Play 1 as surround speakers.

• 15 December 2017
  • 9 replies

Hi I currently have 2 play 1’s in various rooms around the house I have just purchased a sound bar and sub and want to reposition the 2 play ones I have as surround speakers, do I need to reset them to factory settings to achieve this or is it just a question of repositioning them to the right Room, renaming and following the set up procedure in the app? Sorry this might sound like a silly question but not sure what to do. I have replaced the two play ones with Sonos ones. Thanks in advance for your help.
icon

Best answer by jgatie 15 December 2017, 17:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

No need to reset them. Just reposition them and configure as surrounds. They will take on the name of the Playbar and Sub once you do.
Perfect I was hoping it would be that easy ?
Thank you
I have 2 PLAY:1's that I'm trying to connect as surrounds. In Advanced settings, it doesn't say add surrounds.... it just has tv diaglogue..... it will let me pair them together and use them as separate speakers, but will not let me add them to the playbar as surrounds.... any ideas???
Badge
Is your app up to date?... also it might be worth setting up the playbar from scratch then you can add the play 1's from that setup wizard.
Yep... the app is up to date. I'm going to factory reset everything and start from scratch. I also purchased a Boost so the system has it's own designated wifi....
Can't get the play1s to act as surround sound?? They are in sync with the playbar but don't work as surround ? any ideas? NEED HELP
Can't get the play1s to act as surround sound?? They are in sync with the playbar but don't work as surround ? any ideas? NEED HELP

Did you set them up as surrounds? You need to bond them as surrounds, not group them. See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927?language=en_US
Badge +2

Are you sure the sound coming out of the TV is actually 5.1 sound ? You can check by going to the 'about' section in the menu and check the 'audio in' value.
If it isn't, the TV might not be well configured.
If it is, then maybe the media you're looking at isn't providing 5.1 audio?