Answered

Using Connect for 5.1 Home Theater & Vinyl?

Hi everyone, I am very interested in joining the sonos community and have been doing a lot of research - but I haven't found exactly the answers I'm looking for so I'm hoping you can help me out.

I recently purchased a discounted Onkyo TX-NR676 on black friday with my desired goals being the following:
1) Hook up my PS4/Switch/etc to it via HDMI and then connect it to my 4k tv.
2) Hook up my record player (including tt- pre amp).
3) Get the whole thing on sonos using the Connect and use sonos speakers to achieve 5.1.

It seems to me that if I want to play vinyl over the sonos speakers AND/OR play the TV/game systems over the speakers I would need the chain to look like this:

A) Turn Table > Pre Amp > Line-In on the Receiver.
B) PS4/Switch/ETC > HDMI in on the Receiver > HDMI out to the TV.
C) Receiver (Zone 2 out?) > Sonos Connect > Sonos speakers.

I just want to clarify that the above would work because most of what I have researched mentions connecting the Turn table to Line-in on the Connect, and then Line-Out from the connect to Line-In on the receiver..But if I did that would I still be able to use the sonos speakers for the Tv/Game systems?

Sorry If any of this is vague or more information is needed but I'd appreciate any input.

Right now I haven't bought the connect or the Sonos speakers yet.., so I'm trying to make sure I go about this the right way. I can still also take back the Onkyo receiver If I have to. I did read about the new sonos AMP..which seems appealing..but it stinks that there is only one HDMI connection on it.
icon

Best answer by John B 7 December 2018, 08:58

Hi. I don't think this is going to work at all I'm afraid. The Connect was designed to turn a traditional hifi amp and speakers into a Sonos music player. It only handles stereo.

Sonos Play speakers can be used for HT only as part of a purely Sonos setup.

The Connect does not have an optical input.

New Amp seems a much better bet although you would need a pair of passive speakers. You would route the HDMIs through the TV.

View original

2 replies

As an after thought on my proposed connection.. I suppose I could go from the receiver to the connect via optical as well as opposed to zone 2 out?

Thanks again for reading.
Hi. I don't think this is going to work at all I'm afraid. The Connect was designed to turn a traditional hifi amp and speakers into a Sonos music player. It only handles stereo.

Sonos Play speakers can be used for HT only as part of a purely Sonos setup.

The Connect does not have an optical input.

New Amp seems a much better bet although you would need a pair of passive speakers. You would route the HDMIs through the TV.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings