Question

Using Beam with Remote

Hi All,

So I would like to purchase a beam to use as a sound bar for my TV. I do not have an HDMI - ARC input so would need to use the optical adaptor. My question is, will my TV remote still work to control the volume of the Beam? I don’t want to get stuck with having to use the App to control volume when I’m watching TV.

My other concern is that because my remote isn’t a universal remote, when I go to adjust the volume on the Beam, will it adjust the volume of my TV speakers at the same time? Obviously if I’m using the Beam I want the TV speakers to remain muted.

Thanks in advance!

2 replies

Hi All,

So I would like to purchase a beam to use as a sound bar for my TV. I do not have an HDMI - ARC input so would need to use the optical adaptor. My question is, will my TV remote still work to control the volume of the Beam? I don’t want to get stuck with having to use the App to control volume when I’m watching TV.

Yes.  The Beam has an IR sensor on it, so the TV remote can send commands directly to the Beam.  And of course, there is voice control as well.

My other concern is that because my remote isn’t a universal remote, when I go to adjust the volume on the Beam, will it adjust the volume of my TV speakers at the same time? Obviously if I’m using the Beam I want the TV speakers to remain muted.

Thanks in advance!

That’s going to depend on your TV.  Most TVs have audio settings that allow you to turn off internal speakers so changing the volume never does anything for the TV speakers.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I have this exact setup.  Optical to Beam using adapter.  The Beam reads the remote (follow the instructions in the App).  So you don’t need a new remote.