Answered

Using Beam with HDMI-ARC and Infrared Remote (IR) sensor blocked for volume

• 6 July 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hello, can the beam adjust volume using TV's IR remote if it is connected via HDMI-ARC? The Beam will cover my TV's IR sensor but I would like to connect it via HDMI. Will I be able to adjust volume through the Beam's IR sensor when the TV sensor is blocked?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 10 July 2018, 19:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Not sure as it is very new. But you can try top mounting the Beam over the TV. Just get a VESA sound bar mount kit, and the sonos beam wall mount.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I think only an official answer from Sonos will do before this thing comes out and people start testing it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, boris 1. Thanks for posting. If you are connecting the Beam to your TV via HDMI-ARC, your remote is paired with the Beam. This means that the Beam will act as the IR receiver for your TV, so no worries if your TV sensor is blocked! 😃
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hey there, boris 1. Thanks for posting. If you are connecting the Beam to your TV via HDMI-ARC, your remote is paired with the Beam. This means that the Beam will act as the IR receiver for your TV, so no worries if your TV sensor is blocked! :D

Thanks very much for official answer! I've never used HDMI-ARC but I assume all the remote's functions are transmitted through the cable to the TV (even the ones that don't concern the Beam).
Badge
Hey there, boris 1. Thanks for posting. If you are connecting the Beam to your TV via HDMI-ARC, your remote is paired with the Beam. This means that the Beam will act as the IR receiver for your TV, so no worries if your TV sensor is blocked! :D

Thanks for the answer here. However my beam is blocking my tv’s IR receiver and despite being connected via hdmi arc I don’t think the beam is passing through my tv remote IR signals. Anything I can do to check?
Badge
What kind of TV are you using? Some TV's like Panasonic require to enable the ARC function on the TV settings.
Badge
Yes arc is enabled but the beam IR receiver isn’t doing anything back to the TV, not even volume
Badge
I got the fix to this for volume only via @Hi-fi_lo-fi:

Go in via sonos app, settings>room settings>RoomName>TV>Remote control.

This got Beam IR to recognise remote control for volume changes.