Answered

Using an Arc with Yamaha RX-V685 AV Receiver and Epson Projector

I recently purchased 5.1.2 Entertainment Set with Arc, Sub G3 & One SL to use in my theater room in my basement.  My intent was to pair it with my Yamaha RX-V685 receiver and Epson 4010 4K projector.  I also use a Roku Ultra 2020 to stream my video.

After trying several different connections and configurations, I can’t get sound to play through my Sonos.  Have I made a very expensive mistake buying the Sonos?

icon

Best answer by John B 29 March 2021, 20:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

How are you sending a signal to the Sonos? The receiver you’ve described wouldn’t normally fit in to a Sonos setup, I.e. you already have all the speakers necessary in the Sonos. Not am I sure which device is creating the HDMI ARC signal the Sonos is looking for, most receivers or projectors don’t create it. Generally speaking, it’s created by the TV set’s electronics, and so far, the great majority of projectors do not have the electronics necessary built in, al the ough there are a small group that do. 

Would the Roku Ultra be responsible for sending the signal?

Note generally, no. Most sources don’t include an ARC signal, that’s the responsibility of the electronics in the video generating device. 

Hi. As Bruce suggested, the receiver is redundant. I think the only way you will get this to work is to buy an HDFury Arcana device.  The Roku would go in the Arcana's HDMI input, the HDMI out would go to the projector and the eARC would go to the Arc.

That should work well. (Although no way to avoid some longish cables. )

John - Thanks, I will look into that.  I got a real good deal on the receiver so I would much rather remove that than to replace my Sonos with another speaker solution.

I received the HDFury Arcana and connected it as directed.  I still have no sound?  Any suggestions?  The HDMi cable that I have from Arcana to Sonos ARCdoes not support eARC but it does support ARC and Ethernet.

Thanks! - Jeff

Hi. Do you have TV selected as the audio source for the Arc?

Please try the cable supplied with the Arc to connect the Arcana to the Arc

If necessary we can think further.

Never mind, after a little basic trouble shooting, it turned out to be the cable.

So all is now good?

Yes, I just have to get a 20 ft long HDMi cable that will support eARC.  I wish SONOS made one :thinking: . We tested everything with the cable that came with the ARC and It all works.  I need the longer cable so I can put the ARC back in it’s place under my screen.  Any guidance on cables would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi - that is good to hear.  I don’t think you need an eARC supporting cable for the HDMi connection from Arcana to the projector.  eARC is all about the audio, and you just care about sending the video to the projector.  I am not sure what your projector supports but probably worth ensuring that the cable does at least 4K UHD.

John - I should have been more clear. The way my home theater is set up in my basement, I have an area behind a wall where I have all my gear.  All my cables are in place for the projector and my Roku,  I just plug in.  When I decided to go with Sonos, I pulled a cable into that room to connect the ARC.  That's the cable I need now.  The one I originally purchased does not support eARC.  Thanks!

One last issue.  Everything works except now I have a little “jitter” with my sound.  Reminds me of a bad cell connection.  I have checked all my cable connections and rebooted the Arcana  and the Roku.

Thanks