Question

Use Beam with a very old Sony TV (KDL-46X2000)

• 27 April 2020
  • 3 replies

I just got my Beam and set it up with two One SL but I have difficulties connecting it to my (very old) Sony TV. As there is no ARC output I am using the optical connector that came with the Beam. The setup itself is already working for music but not for the TV. I already tried all the TV settings (there are not too much...) but no success. I also have an Apple TV connected to the TV and it is basically the only Input I use so I wouldn’t mind connecting it directly to it. Does anyone have an idea where the error could be or is there a comfortable way to connect the system to the Apple TV without the need to reconnect it every time? 
Thanks for your help!

3 replies

You didn’t really say what the issue is.  Are you getting any TV audio through the Beam?  And surround sound in the SLs?  Did you check to make sure you’re selecting TV as the source in the Sonos app?

I took a quick look at your TVs manual and it looks like optical supports PCM (stereo) but nothing about dolby digital 5.1.  I would not be surprised if the TV can’t pass through the audio.  If that’s the case, then you could add a HDMI/optical splitter like the one below  between your Apple TV and TV, using the optical output to connect to your Beam.  You could also try Airplay 2 get the audio from Apple TV to the Beam.  I’m not sure you would get surround sound from that though.

Set the internal TV speakers to ’Off’ and then try the audio-out set to ‘fixed’ or ‘variable’ the latter may allow your TV remote to Control the volume. I think the external audio-out is PCM stereo only.

Online manual is here for you to refer to... 

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/2698/26986711M.pdf

Thanks for the quick responses!

The Sonos part works fine and TV is selected as the source in the Sonos App but I do not get any audio from the TV, not even in Stereo. I already plugged everything out and back in, the TVs speakers are turned off and the audio-out is on variable (I tried both). My guess is that the optical output just didn't make it to its 13th anniversary but if it is, as you suspected, not capable of transmitting 5.1 it’s of no use anyways. 

If that’s the case, then you could add a HDMI/optical splitter like the one below  between your Apple TV and TV, using the optical output to connect to your Beam.  You could also try Airplay 2 get the audio from Apple TV to the Beam.  I’m not sure you would get surround sound from that though.

If I connect the Apple TV via AirPlay it works fine but as I just learned Airplay 2 is only capable of sending a stereo signal.

The splitter would basically be plugged into the TV and I connect both the Apple TV and the Beam (via optical) to it? Or are there also HDMI splitters with a normal HDMI and an ARC input so that there is one connector less in between? And last but not least, do you recommend a specific device?