Answered

Use Beam as speaker without TV on?

• 14 July 2018
  • 4 replies

Setup my Beam, happily listening to streaming music from Sonos app (Spotify), turned off power to TV and music stopped. Please tell me I don’t have to keep the TV on?
icon

Best answer by cpressley46 17 July 2018, 02:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Did you try restarting the music? Had the speaker switched to the TV input?
Setup my Beam, happily listening to streaming music from Sonos app (Spotify), turned off power to TV and music stopped. Please tell me I don’t have to keep the TV on?
Is that Spotify app actually a TV app? Then yes, the TV has to be kept on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If the beam was still powered up, but had been stopped, it's possible the TV send a burst of audio that switched the Beam over to the TV audio source when the TV turned off, that could stop the music playback until you re-start it. What did the Sonos app show the Beam doing when you turned off the TV?

Alternatively, if the Beam shut off (as in lost power) this could happen if you were using some sort of smart power strip that turned off everything connected to it when the TV is turned off (unlikely, but I've seen it happen...).
Well, I can’t reproduce this, so I guess that’s good news. This wasn’t a TV app to answer one of the questions. It now functions as I had hoped. Thanks all.