Answered

Upgrading TV and sound bar confused

• 22 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi - I have just ordered a new TV Philips 48OLED806.

With my old Panasonic TV I have an old Yamaha soundbar which has multiple inputs - I have for example a Sky Q system and also Apple TV and bluray player.  It’s currently wired so that each of these devices goes directly to the sound bar and I have to select a sound source for whatever I am watching.

I am looking at BEAM2 - it appears to have only one input port?

Does this mean that the sound will pass through the TV and then from the TV into the soundbar so I only need that one conneciton?

If so, does this work and what do I need to watch out for there - I got the impression I have to look for something called ARC?

Apologies for the silly questions but I really haven’t looked into this at all since the last time I bought a new TV about 8 years ago!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 22 October 2021, 18:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

The Beam needs an HDMI ARC or eARC connection on the TV. The Phillips 48OLED806 has HDMI eARC, which is exactly what you want.

You will connect the Beam to the TV’s eARC port and connect your other devices directly to the TV’s other HDMI ports. The audio from the devices will pass through the TV and play out of the Beam. Since the TV is equipped with eARC, you should get the highest quality audio from your devices to play out of the Beam.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Sonos sound bars rely heavily on your TV and  it depends on what your TV can and cannot do . 

I personally don’t like that at all since if TV does not have earc, then you are out of luck or have to invest in other expensive equipment like HDfury arcana. 

everything get connected to your TV and then HDMI arc/earc goes to beam/arc.