Answered

Upgraded to Play 5 V2 from V1- Line in now lags with Audio from TV. What Sonos product will subsitute?

• 2 September 2020
  • 10 replies

Hi- I've been using a play 5 with Line in from the TV to distribute sound to all my Sonos speaker for many years.  

However, I just upgraded to the version 2 of Sonos 5 and it plays with a lag.  What Sonos product can I use to replace "line in" but also can distribute the TV audio house wide? the Beam? 

I really love playing the audio from the TV house wide - how can I do this with the new Play 5? Or do I have to go back to v1 to do this use case?

icon

Best answer by John B 2 September 2020, 10:00

I am sorry but you are mistaken.  All Sonos analog lines in have had a lag of at least 70ms.  This is part of the fundamental design of Sonos - the buffer is needed in order to sync music across grouped rooms.  No version of the Play:5 or Sonos Five is designed for use with a television.

What HAS changed is that on all Sonos speakers you now have some control over the lag, and maybe your new speaker is not currently set to the minimum.  See what you have for the ‘audio delay’ setting in the line in settings for the speaker.

Edit: if the main purpose of this is to distribute the TV audio around the house, where you can’t see the TV, why does a lag matter?

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can use the Beam, or any of the home theatre products. There will be a 70msec delay in the sound to all other speakers, due to the way Sonos buffers the sound before sending it to the rest of the grouped speakers. I assume you had that with the original Play:5 too. It’s only really noticeable if you’re standing in a location where you’re hearing the Beam/Play:5 and another speaker. If you’re just walking through such a location it’s fine. I often group a kitchen speaker with my lounge speakers and have no issues as it’s only a momentary “echo” effect as I walk from one room to the other. 

What if i uses an optical to analog audio cable from the TVs optical to the play 5 audio 

and the old play 5 had no lag at alll 

I am sorry but you are mistaken.  All Sonos analog lines in have had a lag of at least 70ms.  This is part of the fundamental design of Sonos - the buffer is needed in order to sync music across grouped rooms.  No version of the Play:5 or Sonos Five is designed for use with a television.

What HAS changed is that on all Sonos speakers you now have some control over the lag, and maybe your new speaker is not currently set to the minimum.  See what you have for the ‘audio delay’ setting in the line in settings for the speaker.

Edit: if the main purpose of this is to distribute the TV audio around the house, where you can’t see the TV, why does a lag matter?

I have both versions of the play 5 currently- the v2 lags and v1 doesn’t.  V1 not lagging has been true for years-  I’m looking right at it!  It may be Im using a different TV  (one is LG and the other is VIzo) that’s handling audio differently which I’ll look into 

As far as “why I care” if it lags if I’m going around the house- sometimes I want to watch TV too.

If you want to just argue why I should care or dispute a configuration I have right in front of me- please troll elsewhere.  I’m sorry but you are in no way helpful

You are wrong.  Totally, stupidly, ignorantly wrong.  I offered helpful and correct information that you may choose to ignore.  Have you even checked the audio delay setting? 

It may turn out to be a difference in the TVs (not mentioned in your original post).  Would it not be smarter to test on the same TV?  What i wrote was 100% correct.  There is absolutely no difference in the lag on Play;5 gen 1 and gen 2.  There has always been a lag, although it may have been too small for you to notice.

Hell, who cares?  Let’s hope nobody else is willing to risk being called a ‘troll’ when trying to help.

Hey I think I read your answer too fast and spoke out of my butt too soon.  you are 100% correct on the audio delay.  That fixes the problem and I accused you of giving an unhelpful answer.  I’m a dolt- sorry.

Thanks for posting back.  Apology 100% accepted.  I am glad the issue is resolved.

I cannot get the upgrade to work

My components are from 2016

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Where in the upgrade process does it go wrong for you?