Question

Upgraded from Beam to Arc

• 2 August 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I just upgraded from Beam to Arc and am incredibly happy overall. The wider sound stage alone makes it a worthwhile investment. I’ve got a 65” TV and the stereo separation of the Beam just wasn’t wide enough to support the screen size.

Question:

Currently, my TV uses HDMI ARC (no eARC) and will support the Dolby Digital Plus format. That said, I’m not sure if I’m getting the DD+ version of Atmos or not. Checking About My System section and it usually reads Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 for Atmos movies.

Knowing this, is Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 the lossy version of Atmos? The Sonos app doesn’t display the Atmos logo when watching Atmos content, so I’m not sure exactly what audio format I’m getting.

Current setup:

TCL Series 4 65” TV (2018) With HDMI ARC

Sonos ARC

2 play:1 surrounds

Sub Gen 2

Apple TV 4K

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge

Your TV most likely doesn't pass DD+ Atmos to the Arc. From best of my knowledge, only 2019 TCL TV models can pass through lossy DD+ Atmos format from the external HDMI sources and the local apps. Some of 2019 models will get later this year a firmware update to support eARC as well.

I have 2019 Series 5 TCL and can see the Atmos indicator in the app for Atmos enabled movies. 

Unfortunately, if you don't see the DD+ Atmos indicator in the app, the only workaround for you is to get Arcana from https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/ or buy a new TV. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That’s more or less what I figured based on my research. Although when I have Dolby Digital Plus selected on my TV it works. That’s what I can’t figure out.

as for the Arcana product, have those been tested by the public much or are those just manufacturer claims at this point?

Badge

According to forums, HDFury is a good, trusted manufacturer. Probably it is safe to assume the Arcana will work as promise.  Probably will go through few updates, if some bugs will pop up during original rollout.

I didn't understand your statement "... when I have Dolby Digital Plus selected on my TV it works" . So, do you get Atmos confirmation or not? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

According to forums, HDFury is a good, trusted manufacturer. Probably it is safe to assume the Arcana will work as promise.  Probably will go through few updates, if some bugs will pop up during original rollout.

I didn't understand your statement "... when I have Dolby Digital Plus selected on my TV it works" . So, do you get Atmos confirmation or not? 

Ah! Yeah my mistake. When I have Dolby Digital Plus set for the pass through I still get audio, but no, Sonos still won’t display the Atmos symbol. I bring that up because when I had my Beam, no audio would pass through with Dolby Digital Plus. Had to use just DD before.

Badge

Yeah, Beam doesn't support DD+. That is why. 

So, I don't know what will be a best solution for you. The Arcana probably cost as much as half of your TV, or the compared newer TCL TV. But, since you already have the Arc, you want to get the best sound as possible. 

If you really need Atmos, get Arcana. Or enjoy still great DD+ sound. In my opinion, the difference between the lossy DD+ Atmos and DD+ is not very noticeable. I pre-ordered Arcana myself to get lossless Atmos and to get rid of very noticeable lips sync issue.