Update 14.16

• 8 September 2022
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Where is it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Being tested I assume, and will be released when deemed ready.  Sonos don’t have a set monthly update nor do they promise so. 
The wait, when you are expecting a certain fix, can be frustrating. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Wait, we are on 14.14, would we not have 14.15 next?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Wait, we are on 14.14, would we not have 14.15 next?

14.10, 14.12..then 14.14, then I assume it would be 14.16…

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Just wanted to let everyone know, we’re still waiting. Expectations are high for the next update 🥳

Think this one should come out within the next 2 weeks from now. I really hope so 🤞

Maybe this time, we get a response from Sonos in this topic about the progress on this fix. Although I lost those expectations to be honest. We will see…….

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’m so nervous they are also now waiting for iOS 16 later this month, because of intended feature implementations within the App - and don’t want to double release this month….

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I’m so nervous they are also now waiting for iOS 16 later this month, because of intended feature implementations within the App - and don’t want to double release this month….

I hope you’re not right, because i want my sound fixed ASAP

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Never thought about that. This could be an issue for the waiting time of the fix. Although Apple had probably send their API to developers a time ago, so they can already implement the new code in their apps. Apple has announced the public release of iOS will be next week. September 12th. So on the other hand, that might speed things up a little. Usually Sonos brings out their updates every 4 weeks (at least the last couple of times), So that's 1 week earlier than usual. If we are lucky they releasing a new firmware on that date too, Then the big question is…. Is that release included the fix for the sounds issue, or is it a planned patch to work with iOS16 and do we have to wait another 4 weeks for the sound issue?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@JeroenVR i have been using ios16 for a month with sonos app no problem with using it just the sound profile sucks

iOS 16 is merely an operating system. 

The Sonos application on iOS (and every device)  is merely a method by which you reach the actual application that runs on Linux on the various Sonos speakers/devices. There’s nothing really occurring on your device. It is merely reaching out to your system, where all of the actual smarts is running, and displaying to you what is happening. There is no “player of music” running on your Sonos controllers, no matter where they reside. 

The only time you use a “player” on any operating system is if you’re sending an AirPlay 2 signal to a Sonos, at which point you’re effectively skipping the grand majority of the Sonos software.  

iOS 16 is merely an operating system. 

The Sonos application on iOS (and every device)  is merely a method by which you reach the actual application that runs on Linux on the various Sonos speakers/devices. There’s nothing really occurring on your device. It is merely reaching out to your system, where all of the actual smarts is running, and displaying to you what is happening. There is no “player of music” running on your Sonos controllers, no matter where they reside. 

The only time you use a “player” on any operating system is if you’re sending an AirPlay 2 signal to a Sonos, at which point you’re effectively skipping the grand majority of the Sonos software.  

While true, it is possible that there is a new iOS feature available to app developers that Sonos may want to integrate into the control app.  However, there is little reason for Sonos to time their upgrade release around Apple’s for this reason.  Just wait till the next convenient time.  That said, I haven’t heard of any new feature in the iOS that would help Sonos out.

Three is also the question of trueplay, which is impacted by the iOS somewhat, but certainly impacted by the new iPhone hardware.  Sonos surely doesn’t have updates for this ready to go, as I doubt they have been given pre-release versions, and trueplay tuning typically takes some time before it comes out for new Apple devices.

Last point...while it’s understandable that people are eager for a new update, there is also a contingent of customers who get annoyed, and even rather upset, with higher frequency of updates.  So Sonos is also conscious about the volume and frequency of updates.  I’m not saying this issue isn’t important, but I would guess Sonos will wait and update after 4 weeks, or more, instead of 3.  I say more, because it’s possible that some other feature or bug fix could need an extra week, and Sonos doesn’t want to wait for the next go round on it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

14.16 firmware and hardware update today. Let's hear your complaints!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

😂😂

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

After update my system did need to reconfigure the  arc+sub+surrounds. And re-run Trueplay as if for first time. Am leaving Trueplay "on” for now.

Badge

After update my system did need to reconfigure the  arc+sub+surrounds. And re-run Trueplay as if for first time. Am leaving Trueplay "on” for now.

Well this is a good sign if they are making you run TruePlay again. 

Badge

Anything you can tell me about the sound GC3? I’m not at home and unable to see for myself. I run an arc + 2 subs + 2 one’s.

It appears the iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with Truplay. Tried to run it and got the following:

The iPhone 14 is not yet on the list of valid devices for TruePlay. It’s too new. Generally, although not always, it takes several months for Sonos to catch up. Normally, I’d point you to an FAQ, but it looks like the iPhone 14 is so new, they haven’t yet updated the FAQ to indicate the release of the new iPhones. 

After updating to 14.16, my entire system disappeared with the exception of 2x Roam and 1x Move. It looks like I have to completely reset all the rooms. Or is there another way?

Userlevel 7

After updating to 14.16, my entire system disappeared with the exception of 2x Roam and 1x Move. It looks like I have to completely reset all the rooms. Or is there another way?

During any firmware update to the speakers, the speakers reboot as part of the process. This can cause strain on the router as they all attempt to reconnect, leading to speakers being missing in the app if the process doesn’t go smoothly. A further reboot of the missing speakers should be enough to resolve it.

During any firmware update to the speakers, the speakers reboot as part of the process. This can cause strain on the router as they all attempt to reconnect, leading to speakers being missing in the app if the process doesn’t go smoothly. A further reboot of the missing speakers should be enough to resolve it.

Seems to be an error 1101 – but have already tried to reboot my router. I will try other solutions. Unfortunately, booting the missing sonos device does not solve anything either – and there are quite a few devices ...

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Anything you can tell me about the sound GC3? I’m not at home and unable to see for myself. I run an arc + 2 subs + 2 one’s.

My opinion of the sound is that 14.16 didn't change anything. I'm not among those complaining about the volume. Re-running and turning on Trueplay left me  preferring that setup, sensing more bass/sub presence.

Seems to be an error 1101 – but have already tried to reboot my router. I will try other solutions. Unfortunately, booting the missing sonos device does not solve anything either – and there are quite a few devices ...

Problem solved, but don't ask me how!!!

After the reset, I had two boxes back on the Sonos iOS app, then I updated the MacOS app and suddenly all the boxes appeared. Same login, two different setups!

Then deleted the iOS app again, logged in again - and (almost) everything was there (I had to add three more boxes manually). 

Today the system is still running … fingers crossed.

Upgraded to iPhone 14 Pro Max on iOS 16. 
I’m now unable to see my system within the Sonos app. 
Any help would be gratefully received!

@RC02ONN,
Perhaps see if switching off ‘Private Address’ in the WiFi network connection sorts it.

Also switch off any security software (vpn/firewall) and WiFi calling too, fully close the App (slide off screen) and toggle the WiFi connection ‘off/on’ on the iPhone and double check that the mobile is connected to the primary (same) network as your Sonos system and not a guest network (if relevant).

Then see if the App finds your Sonos system when re-opened.