Two PLAY:5 as front speakers with Playbar center

• 6 December 2015
  • 29 replies

Hello.

I'm thinking about having two PLAY:5 as stereo par with sub at my summer house. I don't have TV (yet) but when I add a TV I will probably have a Playbar so I can connect the sound to my system. The question is, can I have the two PLAY:5 as front speakers with the Playbar as a center speaker or will that not work? I mainly will use the system for music but I would like to have the possibility to watch TV with good sound quality.

Regards,
Johann

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Badge +1
If the Playbar is on and the 2 front 5s are on with a pair of rear 3s, is that good, quality sound for music? If the 5s are designated as a separate room, then they can be adjusted higher or lower to strengthen of weaken the sound. Is this overkill? It seems to sound good, but maybe I am incorrect as I am not an expert on sound.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
The beam, playbar and playbase are for connecting to a TV. The others cannot unless bonded as rears.
Thank you for this thread. Was thinking to have this setup, but i have learned that Sonos isn’t made to pair with a TV. Bummer.
If that's what you're looking for then you're better off with a proper receiver based system. Explain why i would be better off with receiver and wires compared with a proper wifi based 5.1 or wifi 7.1? I am curious why you think the receiver is better?

That's just it, there is no WiFi 7.1. If you wish for 7.1, you need to go receiver and wires. You have no choice. Something which exists is always better than something which doesn't exist.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
You are using a soundbar based system, if you want more separation and a dedicated centre centre speaker then that is not what you are going to get with this type of setup. If you want to stay with Sonos then you can use the Amp.
If that's what you're looking for then you're better off with a proper receiver based system. Explain why i would be better off with receiver and wires compared with a proper wifi based 5.1 or wifi 7.1? I am curious why you think the receiver is better?
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
If that's what you're looking for then you're better off with a proper receiver based system.
I am getting frustrated wth Sonos. It's a love hate situation. I bought the Playbar, sub and two rear Play 1s. The wifi technology is great. But Sonos has had many years to get enhancements to their core Home Theater, and they have done nothing. Just talk and no action. During the holiday we watched singing shows and everyone asking me to boost the singers in middle channel. Holy smokes, there is no control for this!!!! What? Why can't I adjust the center singers? I have a monster hdtv antenna with the best clean digital input. It's not my signal. The Voice finals sounded bad with the singers buried and I could not boost the center.

If Sonos can't put a simple center volume then what chance is there for me to add Play 5s to my front L & R? I believe that answer is ZERO ..?

I love Sonos but without obvious enhancememts, i'm going to leave when the next wifi HT competitor steps up with real L-C-R. What do you say Sonos?
I have another thread on this. It seems a huge failing that it’s not possible to use two play 1s as front L and R speakers in a 5.1 setup. Sonos totally relying on the fidelity of their Playbar/beam kit but it totally lacks the soundstage of a true 5.1 setup. I just bought beam plus 2x play 1 for surround sound but I misunderstood what sonos mean by surround. They are not trying to emulate a true 5.1. I envisioned getting 2 more play 1s as rear but pointless as I can’t use the current play1s as front speakers for cinema.

This needs a complete re-think from sonos as others previous on this thread are suggesting.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
You could set up the play5s as surround speakers but place them left and right from the TV. Then in the surround settings you can set the music playback to full. You then can adjust the volume of the “surround” speakers, which are now actually front speakers, to your liking. I have set them to about 2/3 so that I get more and wider stereo sound from my play1s with a bit of sound added in from the playbar (and a lot of rumble for the sub btw … I just love that thing! 🙂 ).

I did this in my system because the (in my case mostly virtual) surround sound didn’t do much for me and I don’t like the sound coming from behind me when playing music.

That's exactly what I'm planing to do - just with a beam except for a playbar. One question: Is the playbar disturbing the Stereo experience? Currently i use just two play:1s with a sub and the sound is great, but I want to add my TV to this set up. And I'm afraid to lose my perfect stereo triangle. Unfortunately you can't mute the beam / playbar in this setup .
+1 for this I currently have a playbar which is good good for tv but for music I would like stereo pair
Of play 5s and make the play bar the centre for when using it for movies and then even add play 1s for rears I know it would be exspensive but I love the ease of the Sonos network and the quality is superb!!! Please Sonos surely this is just a software update ?

Nothing stopping you adding to play 5s as front speakers and just group them.
+1 for this I currently have a playbar which is good good for tv but for music I would like stereo pair
Of play 5s and make the play bar the centre for when using it for movies and then even add play 1s for rears I know it would be exspensive but I love the ease of the Sonos network and the quality is superb!!! Please Sonos surely this is just a software update ?
Userlevel 1
+1 for me too! Every software update I hope that I'll finally be able to use my play 5s as front speakers along with my playbar and rear play 1s.. when will Sonos finally do this??
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
+1 for sure! I have been waiting for this for a long time. I already have the two play 5(2gen) placed perfect on each side of the Playbar just waiting for this solution. As the Playbar just have optical connection(sadly) and never will be able to deliver more than DD5.1, its time to make the most out of the 5.1 it can deliver. Using 2xPlay X would be the way to go. There are plenty of people that want "proper" Surround system without a receiver, and cables and everything else a traditional setup need.

Every Sonos speaker needs a cable for power. It's thicker than standard speaker cable. I think perhaps you overly criticise the "traditional setup" to which you refer. I switched from Playbar to such a system and now use fewer cables.
Userlevel 2
+1 for sure! I have been waiting for this for a long time. I already have the two play 5(2gen) placed perfect on each side of the Playbar just waiting for this solution. As the Playbar just have optical connection(sadly) and never will be able to deliver more than DD5.1, its time to make the most out of the 5.1 it can deliver. Using 2xPlay X would be the way to go. There are plenty of people that want "proper" Surround system without a receiver, and cables and everything else a traditional setup need.
Userlevel 1
Badge
A big +1 from me also! I'd absolutely love to be able to bond my Play 5 gen 2s as front LR for better channel separation, with the playbar taking on all centre sound, it's already very good for dialogue. It would then allow more varied options for music listening too: full, front LR, ambient rears, front LR + ambient rears. I live in hope!
Userlevel 2
+1 of using 2 Play: x as LR to Playbar! This is something I have been waiting for since i bought the playbar and two play 5! Its time for some real surround options sonos 😃
Userlevel 1
Badge
+1 on possibility of using 2 Play:X as LR united to Playbar/base.
Totally need this as the playbase has really weak stereo aperture.
Would be great a simple add front function, identical to the add surround one.

Where could I/we ask this to sonos?
You could set up the play5s as surround speakers but place them left and right from the TV. Then in the surround settings you can set the music playback to full. You then can adjust the volume of the “surround” speakers, which are now actually front speakers, to your liking. I have set them to about 2/3 so that I get more and wider stereo sound from my play1s with a bit of sound added in from the playbar (and a lot of rumble for the sub btw … I just love that thing! 🙂 ).

I did this in my system because the (in my case mostly virtual) surround sound didn’t do much for me and I don’t like the sound coming from behind me when playing music.

I have 2 PLAY 5:Gen2 (which are great for music), and decided to pull the plug for the Playbase and SUB. I was trying to figure out whether I should buy additional PLAY 1 as surround, or whether to use the PLAY 5 as surround, but I like your idea a lot better.
I think the PLAY 5 are great for music, and keeping them on either side of the TV with the TV on top of the Playbase and the SUB on the side will look very striking!
+1 for me on this. Would love the ability to add separate front speakers to compliment the playbar....preferably a connect:AMP so that I can run my own subs along with the fronts....
Badge
"I would like to have the possibility to watch TV with good sound quality"
As I understand it, that's why he is thinking of getting the playbar in the first place, but he wants the music coming from the play 5s as front speakers. As I said before, maybe im misinterpreting the question.
"I would like to have the possibility to watch TV with good sound quality"
Badge
You realize that won't make any difference when listening to tv or anything else attached to the optical input?

Yes I know. It is just a way to have stereo pair as front speakers connected to the playbar when streaming music.

But that isn't what the OP was asking for, they specifically want this for TV.

Yes, right, but as front speakers and mainly for listening to music. But maybe I'm misinterpreting the question.

[quote=gugguson2]The question is, can I have the two PLAY:5 as front speakers with the Playbar as a center speaker or will that not work? I mainly will use the system for music but I would like to have the possibility to watch TV with good sound quality./quote]
You realize that won't make any difference when listening to tv or anything else attached to the optical input?

Yes I know. It is just a way to have stereo pair as front speakers connected to the playbar when streaming music.

But that isn't what the OP was asking for, they specifically want this for TV.
Badge