Question

TV set up (Samsung UN65MU8000)

• 30 April 2020
  • 3 replies

I’m trying to setup a new sonos system and link to my TV.  The speakers (beam, sub & 2 one sls) are on the same network as my TV.  If I play music I get surround sound.  If I play my TV, only the beam is working.  trying to get surround via tv...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @wjendrasek 

Just so you know your TV being on the same network as Sonos has nothing to do with whether or not you get surround via your Samsung. Your Samsung could have no internet connectivity at all and you’d still be able to enjoy Sonos surround if setup properly.

Proper Connection Options

Option 1

1. Beam HDMI (ARC) to HDMI (ARC) on Samsung
  2. Sub is Bonded to Beam and not Sonos One SL’s 
  3. Sonos One SL ‘s are Bonded to Beam not Grouped

Option 2

1. Beam HDMI (ARC) to Samsung Optical-out port using the Optical adapter supplied with the Beam
  2. Sub is Bonded to Beam and not Sonos One SL’s 
  3. Sonos One SL ‘s are Bonded to Beam not Grouped

Make sure the TV audio out is set to Dolby Digital 5.1 and not Dolby Digital + or DTS. Some TV’s will not output Dolby Digital 5.1 over optical in that case a HDMI/Optical Extractor may be used to send the picture via HDMI to TV and audio via Optical to Beam (see one here).

Also, even if setup properly OTA and cable broadcasts may not have a surround channel in the audio. Play a movie (DVD) to see if surround is heard. 

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

According to rtings, you’ll need to use HDMI 4 to connect to the Beam as that is the only one to support ARC (Option 1 above). The good news is that they say it will pass-thru DD 5.1 over HDMI and Optical.

Badge

I have a UN65HU9000.  It is a 2014 version, but somewhere along the way I upgraded the OneConnect box to a newer version. This TV was replaced with an OLED65CX and a Sonos ARC and is working like a charm, DD plus Atmos, no problems.  Therefore the old Samsung went to another room to live out its days but I thought, it was a large room so I would get a second Arc for this room.  So far all I see in the S2 App for the UN65HU9000 is Stereo 2.0.  I tried the Bitstream and PCM settings on the TV but all Dolby Digital and DTS options are greyed out in either case.  I have tried NetFlix, Amazon Video and other applications from a Roku Ultra, internal TV apps and from an XBOX One.  All show just Stereo 2.0.

I am using port 4 to connect the Arc to as it says Arc on it and I also have a Cavvo box involved but not in the ‘sound path’ as the Arc is directly connected to the TV via HDMI 4.

I am trying to resist the call of buying another CX but Stereo is worse then when I have a PlayBar connected to it via optical.  Any ideas about this TV?  If it say Arc on the HDMI port should I not expect Dolby Digital?

Thanks!

-John