Answered

TV Remote vs Sonos Controller Volume Control for TV

• 26 June 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
I have an existing Sonos home theatre and now have an LG TV (model 55UJ6300-UA) who's remote won't play nice. I have run all the updates as well, so that's okay. Unlike my previous TV that was hooked up to it (a Samsung), the LG remote won't allow me to adjust my Playbar or the two Play:1s I'm using for surround sound I also have a Sub if that matters.

Like another person posted about the exact problem he had with his Sony (https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/tv-remote-vs-sonos-controller-volume-control-for-tv-in-a-playbar-play-1-setup-6787229), my entire system is set up correctly and grouped together and Playbar is connected to my LG TV. The TV remote is configured too. Also, the sound settings in TV is set to "Audio Out (Optical/HDMI/ARC)" The roblem is that even though I reduce the sound using the TV remote the Playbar still keeps playing the TV sound. The display in the TV shows sound reducing to 0.., but in fact, it doesn't. So then I have to reduce the volume using the Controller from my Android phone. Can you let me know, what do I need to do so that the TV remote can be used to control the sound of the Playbar independent of the Controller App?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 26 June 2018, 19:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Did this ever get solved? I have a similar problem with my Sony TV/Apple TV (see https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/controlling-sonos-home-theater-volume-via-tv-remote-vs-sonos-iphone-app-6816158/index1.html#post16289964)

I cannot completely control the volume without using the Sonos controller app on my iphone. Sometimes the TV volume indicator with show 0 but I can still hear sound (in which case I have to go into the Controller app and lower the volume completely). Other times I cannot get the volume of the TV loud enough using the remote...and again I need to go into the Sonos Controller app on my iphone to increase the volume. When I use the TV remote (or the Apple TV remote) to control the volume I can see the volume control bar in the Sonos app on my iphone move...I just can't always get it all the way down to zero. Any suggestions?
Well, I tried.

Also, you may not have realized this (I didn't at first), but Keith's underling of the LG Magic Remote is actually a link to setup instructions to work with Sonos. It includes a picture of the remote, so I suppose if your remote looks like the picture, it's magic.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3479?language=en_US
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, shipleywm. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. While there may be similar problems, notice that they all are different manufacturers, with different remotes. Keep in mind, the problem you are describing is how the remote interfaces with Sonos. From what you described, it seems the remote is not set up to work with the Playbar at all. When you go through the remote control setup, do you run into any snags or error messages?

By chance, is your TV remote an LG Magic Remote?
Userlevel 2
Thanks, Keith. No snags. I actually reached out to LG and they said that even though the two are talking to each other via optical connection (I do hear the TV sound thru the Soundbar and accompanying speakers), the volume can't be controlled by LG's remote. I posted on here because that feedback just doesn't sound right.

Your thoughts?
Userlevel 2
Also, how do I know if I have their Magic Remote? I have whatever the TV came with.
Just a thought, but I'd try turning the internal speakers off and seeing if the remote volume control works for the playbar. It may be for this model that if the internal speakers are on, volume only controls the internals.
Userlevel 2
Thanks, Danny. The option I chose only uses my Sonos and it won't turn up or down either. There is a choice to have both speakers on, and with that, it only changes the TVs volume and the SONOS stays the same.