Answered

TV Passes 5.1 for Apple TV but not Blu Ray Player

• 31 January 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
My current setup is a Panasonic TCP42S2, an Apple TV 4, and a Samsung BD-J4500R Blu Ray player all connected via hdmi. I have an optical out from the TV to my Playbase.

For some reason, when using my Apple TV, I get 5.1 on my Playbase just fine. But when using Blu Ray, I only get stereo.

I’ve tried every setting possible on the player and my tv. I’ve ensured the Blu Ray is set to “re-encode Dolby D” and downmixing is set to “Surround”. I’ve turned off CeC, changed hdmi cables, swapped inputs, and no dice.

My only thought is, in the Blu Ray player manual, there’s this stipulation: “If your TV is not compatible with compressed multi-channel formats (Dolby Digital, DTS), the player may output PCM 2ch downmixed audio even though you selected Bitstream (either Re-encoded or Unprocessed) in the setup menu.” How does it decide this and can I override it?

Link to manual: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201602/20160222184813068/BD_J4500R_ZC_WEB_1029.pdf

Any help is appreciated.
icon

Best answer by Corrode 1 February 2018, 00:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi Corrode, Looking at the manual via your link it looks as if setting Downmix to "surround" only outputs 'Stereo' so no 5.1 -

"Downmixing Mode
Lets you select the multi-channel downmix
method that is compatible with your stereo
system. You can choose to have the player
downmix to normal stereo or to surround
compatible stereo."

Try setting downmixing to Off if that's an option maybe?
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Try setting downmixing to Off if that's an option maybe?

Thanks for the reply. There is no "Off" option. Only "Stereo" and "Surround". I changed it to surround based on another tip on these forums, but have also tried it on "Stereo", which is the default setting.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Here's a link to the TV manual: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/television/om/tc-p42s2_en_om.pdf
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Found the answer on another thread:

My Samsung LED TV is 8+ years old, I ended up using a KWMOBILE EDID emulator on the HDMI lead from my Samsung Blu-ray (and another one for my Virgin Media Tivo).

This allows the Blu-ray/ Tivo to supply 5.1 over the HDMI.

Basically when connecting HDMI inputs they do a "handshake", and the TV reports itself as a Stereo device hence why the Blu-ray only feeds the TV stereo signals. The EDID emulator goes between the TV and Blu-ray and tells the Blu-ray that the TV is 5.1 compliant.

Maybe worth a try for you? (try one first).

I ended up using my Fospower HDMI switch to call for 5.1 from the blu ray player and THEN it passed 5.1 through my TV to my Playbase. Not an idea solution but at least I know how to fix it.

Link to his comment: https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/blu-ray-player-that-converts-to-dolby-digital-5-1-6736040?postid=16200668