TV optical audio to Sonos systems wirelessly - New SONOS connect product

• 18 November 2018
  • 11 replies

Badge +1
Would be interested in SONOS developing a new product for wirelessly connecting TVs via the TV optical output. The device would be simplified version of the connect product that is powered by the TVs USB ports. This would allow all SONOS products to be used as output devices for the new generation smart TVs. This would be a full 5Ghz connections and not Bluetooth.
I would expect that would be great consumer interest for current SONOS product owners.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You wouldn't want to do it as optical - you would want to use the ARC HDMI output. I imagine we are going to see a Sonos Connect soon with ARC input (which then would be the sonos device for sending ARC across other Sonos speakers (vs. the Beam and Sonos Amp now that support).
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I don't really understand the requirement here. Are optical cables too onerous a requirement? 97% of TVs have optical output.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Having used playbar with optical and beam with HDMI ARC (which has been pretty standard for TV's in past 8 years) - - the HDMI ARC is much better way to connect audio to TV vs. optical.

how about all the complainers regarding speakers on/off - volume control showing on TV not applicable etc. HDMI ARC volume on TV is the Sonos volume - they are in sync.
I don't really understand the requirement here. Are optical cables too onerous a requirement? 97% of TVs have optical output.Yes I'm struggling a bit with this one. I think the idea is that the wireless link from the new device would allow the audio to be played through speakers with no optical input connection.

I cannot really see it being a winner, as it would just encourage people to use Sonos speakers that were not intended for TV. As @controlav suggests, an optical cable (or HDMI-ARC) to a Sonos TV speaker is no great inconvenience.

Interesting idea though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think a small box for behind to just for tv audio is to niche a product for Sonos. Sonos seems to stay away from items that applicable to a a broad market.

A new Sonos Connect seems an obvious next step for Sonos. A new connect will most certainly have an hdmi input thus allowing it to be connected to tv as the original poster is wanting. But the connect will have analog inputs as well and heck maybe usb. It will have digital and analog outputs as well certainly. But with the hdmi if done right it could act as a server to 5.1 speakers all wound full 5.1 (heck Sonos go for 7.1) via individual Sonos speakers. It would be a major step forward if they include all modern codecs and 7.1. And sell a lot of speakers in addition to the connect.

I would be surprised if we don’t see one next year (I would be surprised if they go all out 7.1). Would be a great Cedia headliner.
This sounds pretty much like the 'super connect' idea that pops up from time to time. If you don't want a soundbar option, because you want greater stereo separation, and don't want the wired option of the Sonos Amp, then this proposed device would allow you to have a relatively small Connect attached to the TV (optical or HDMI-ARC) that would wirelessly connect 2 front speakers, 2 rears, and sub.

(Alternatively, the Connect could connect by HDMI to a receiver. That would mean both tv and music sources go to the receiver through one connection. However, I don't know that one connection is that valuable, and the connect isn't really processing the signal from the TV at all, just passing it through. You would not want this new connect to be a limit on what codecs can be handled, if the receiver is more capable to then the connect. And really, you can get receivers that 'work with Sonos' to accomplish most of this already.)

I don't think power through USB is really going to be that big of a plus though. That puts some power constraints on the device, and the device would have no power when the TV is off. USB power seems convenient, but normal plug power is usually available with TV setups.

The questions I see on this, should it have a built in center channel speaker? Can Sonos keep more than 4 speakers in stable sync ...is there a technical limitation? Is there a large enough market for this sort of device, or are the customers that don't want to get a soundbar going to opt for a wired solution anyway?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They can keep 32 in stable sync. But with 7.1 that is 8 speakers 8 streams from a single device. Sonos can handle 8 streams but can a single device host all 8.

A new Sonos Connect seems an obvious next step for Sonos. A new connect will most certainly have an hdmi input thus
allowing it to be connected to tv as the original poster is wanting.

I don't think it's certain at all. Because the Connect does not power speakers on it's on, it need to transfer whatever audio signal it gets to a separate amp/receiver. What would be the value of having HDMI inputs if all it's going to do is pass the signal on to the receiver? Yes, you could get greater control of input selection though the Connect, but you get most of that already with the 'Works with Sonos' program.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a new version of the connect that has an updated look, and added hardware to be airplay compatible only.

But the connect will have analog inputs as well and heck maybe usb. It will have digital and analog outputs as well certainly. But with the hdmi if done right it could act as a server to 5.1 speakers all wound full 5.1 (heck Sonos go for 7.1) via individual Sonos speakers. It would be a major step forward if they include all modern codecs and 7.1. And sell a lot of speakers in addition to the connect.

If a new version of Connect get the ability to be a HT speaker hub, would this make more sense as new product separate from the Connect though? This seems like adding this would push the cost significantly higher. Many feel the cost of the Connect is already too high, if all you want to do is link your existing receiver into the Sonos network. May it does need to be all in a single product to get enough sales to justify production, and the cost could be a little lower since customers must by other speakers to utilize the HT speaker hub features.
They can keep 32 in stable sync. But with 7.1 that is 8 speakers 8 streams from a single device. Sonos can handle 8 streams but can a single device host all 8.

The 32 in stable sync is at 2.4Hz and with the ability to buffer as needed since there is no concern with keeping audio and video in sync. Maybe it is, I don't know. If it is, then why didn't Sonos offer 7.1 audio from the beginning? Either there was issues with the tech, not a big enough market interest, or the cost of additional hardware (if needed) + codec licensing made it so it wasn't a good idea. On the surface, it's seems like an easy win, since 7.1 means more speakers sold, so why not?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes a connect with hdmi does seem logical as hub for home theater. They don’t want to be making 2 devices You could have it feed left right of home theater to the receiver and then use receivers speakers for front left/right if want to.

Many people use current connects as an input and don’t have it hooked to a receiver to output to speakers. People would be doing less of that in Sonos system as they have gone away from old receivers to the Sonos amp.
Would be interested in SONOS developing a new product for wirelessly connecting TVs via the TV optical output. The device would be simplified version of the connect product that is powered by the TVs USB ports. This would allow all SONOS products to be used as output devices for the new generation smart TVs. This would be a full 5Ghz connections and not Bluetooth.
I would expect that would be great consumer interest for current SONOS product owners.

You mean OTA? Currently it's technically not feasible to broadcast/transmit audio over WiFi from a TV set or PC/Laptop to wireless devices.