Question

TV Does Not Have Optical

• 27 July 2019
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I have an outdoor TV... Sunbrite TV. It does not have an optical output and I am trying to connect the TV to my Playbar. I have local cable box and an Apple TV connected to the TV via HDMI.

My Apple TV does have an optical output. I understand that if I connect the Apple TV to the Playbar I will get audio when playing the Apple TV...

But my question is... will I also get audio when I'm using my cable box?

If not, will I need an adapter? I see that there are HDMI > optical adapters. But I don't see any optical > HDMI adapters. Would I have to use RCA plugs?

TV - Sunbrite TV Model SB-5570HD
Sonos Playbar
Apple TV w/ optical output

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Cable boxes typically have an optical output. In that case you'd just need an IR-controlled optical switch to select which source -- ATV or cable box -- to send to the Playbar.

If the cable box lacks an optical output the simplest option would be a combined HDMI switch / audio extractor. You'd plug both boxes into the switch via HDMI, then send the selected source on to the TV HDMI with the optical to the Playbar.
This is very helpful. Thank you very much.

I'm going to give the HDMI switch solution a try.