Question

TV 5.1 to connect ... new to sonos

Hey all,

I am new to the Sonos community and just wanted to get some input on how to set up my home theater. I currently have a Samsung 4K TV sending surround to my home theater system via optical output consisting of soundbar, satellites and sub. I recently purchased a connect, as I want to integrate all of my rooms to the sonos system.

My current plan is to run the TV optical out to a DAC, run the red/white RCA output into the sonos connect. Then to complete, run optical output from the sonos into the home theater system.
I don't think that this will cause too much delay or cause any significant loss in audio quality. Does this sound like the appropriate way to run TV audio into the sonos system? If there is a better way please let me know. Also, will I be able to stream TV audio to other sonos speakers in different rooms with this setup?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

If you do that you'll never get 5.1 audio to your home theatre as the connect is stereo only, you may not hear hear anything at all if the tv outputs 5.1 as the Connect won't be able to handle it.
If you do that you'll never get 5.1 audio to your home theatre as the connect is stereo only, you may not hear hear anything at all if the tv outputs 5.1 as the Connect won't be able to handle it.

So what do you suggest then???
Depends what your home theatre system is.
I would attach the Sonos Connect using either a toslink cable or coax digital audio cable to your home theatre amplifier (if possible) it depends what connections your home theatre has?

It will also work if you connect either of these cables directly from the TV (note you can buy an HDMI audio, to toslink adapter - see attachment) ... If you cannot do this then you may need to resort to using the analog connections and an RCA cable.

Your connect output 'may' produce a delay of approx 30m/s (from my own experience with a Sonos anolog connection), but if your home theatre has a audio latency adjuster then you can add the same delay to your home theatre audio and you will then get near-perfect sync. The delay is so minimal that it should not affect your audio/video sync... It's so hardly noticeable that I don't think anyone would notice it.

However different hardware can produce different results and it might just be a case of trying it and see what works best for you.

Some home theatre systems may not have an audio latency adjuster in which case you could just use the home theatre for TV DD5.1 audio/video (like you do now) and use the connect and any other Sonos speakers you may have in the room, for great sounding music and other (non-video) audio. The connect and any other Sonos speakers, will sync fine.

Hope that helps.
I would attach the Sonos Connect using either a toslink cable or coax digital audio cable to your home theatre amplifier (if possible) it depends what connections your home theatre has?

Hope that helps.

I know there will be some sacrifice on audio quality and delay by adding the connect to my home theater, I guess my main concern is being able to run music and TV audio through my home theater. I'm trying to avoid having to switch inputs on my home theater every time I want to change from using the TV audio or streaming music via sonos. I was hoping to be able to simply switch the input on the sonos app. Not sure if this would be feasible.
I know there will be some sacrifice on audio quality and delay by adding the connect to my home theater, I guess my main concern is being able to run music and TV audio through my home theater. I'm trying to avoid having to switch inputs on my home theater every time I want to change from using the TV audio or streaming music via sonos. I was hoping to be able to simply switch the input on the sonos app. Not sure if this would be feasible.

Yes, I understand. I have a 'similar' issue where I have to switch the inputs on my home theatre... It's either that, or I could output via the TV itself and so I would have to turn on the TV just to get the audio in my case. It can be a nuisance to have to grab another remote. I think you just need to try these things and see which works the easiest for your particular HT setup.

If you are a subscriber to 'Apple Music' and get your audio that way through Sonos, you could also consider adding in an Apple TV to your setup too. Another thing for you to think about perhaps?
Does your surround system have RCA audio out? if so you can use that to connect into your connect without interfering with the optical audio between your tv and surround system