Question

Toshiba TV connectivity

Hi.

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I’ve got a Toshiba TV - 49”, no HDMI ARC and no optical output. I’ve also got an old school Sonos Connect that I was about to hit the trade up button on and move across to a Sonos Amp. But - I can’t connect them! Is there any way to make these play nicely together?

The only thing I can think of is getting an Amp, an optical to HDMI converter and an optical switch box! Then I could connect the Humax box, Firebox and xBox to the switch and feed it from there to the converter and then into the Amp! Would that work? Anyone tried anything like that before? Would it maintain the surround channel information through all the connections?

The audio purist in me is cringing at all those connections - and I’m beginning to wonder if jumping brand might be the best option! It would be so much easier with a simpler connection - or a Sonos Coaxial to HDMI connector as the TV has a coaxial output!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That TV must be quite old.  I think you best bet is to get a modern TV as this will save a lot of hassle.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Yeah, time for a new TV to start with. Make sure it has eARC for maximum future-proofing.