Answered

thinking of upgrading to an arc and possibly getting an amp.

• 17 September 2020
  • 2 replies

Hey folks, my old receiver died and I was thinking of upgrading my living room setup.  Instead of getting a new receiver I’m flirting with the idea of purchasing an Sonos Arc and was hoping to incorporate my existing monitor audio speakers.  I’ve tried to understand how an Sonos Amp could work with my intended setup. Currently I have:

VIZIO P759-G1 P-Series Quantum 75”

Polk Audio AM1055-C Powered Subwoofer

Two Monitor Audio Radius 270’s floor-standing speakers, specs:

https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/radius/radius-270/

Two Monitor Audio Radius 180’s bookshelf speakers, specs:

https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/support/past-products/radius/r180/

My “plan” would be have the Arc as the center essentially, and an Amp to theoretically connect the 4 Monitor speakers, as well as the sub?  Would the amp basically replace my old a/v receiver?  Since the receiver died all my inputs have been plugged directly into the Vizio tv (PS4, Switch, and Apple TV 4K).  Any thoughts, opinions, or recommendations  would be appreciated 

icon

Best answer by dan8558 17 September 2020, 01:21

There are two ways to go with this. One way is to buy an Arc and it provides the LCR channels in front as well as overhead Atmos channels. The Amp could be bonded with the Arc and would drive a pair of left|right surround speakers, so your floor-standers would be unused. The second option is to buy 2 Amps, and do a 4.1 system. No Arc would be needed in this configuration. One Amp drives the towers and does a phantom center channel. It would also provide the signal for your subwoofer. The second amp drives the surround bookshelf speakers.

View original

2 replies

Badge +1

There are two ways to go with this. One way is to buy an Arc and it provides the LCR channels in front as well as overhead Atmos channels. The Amp could be bonded with the Arc and would drive a pair of left|right surround speakers, so your floor-standers would be unused. The second option is to buy 2 Amps, and do a 4.1 system. No Arc would be needed in this configuration. One Amp drives the towers and does a phantom center channel. It would also provide the signal for your subwoofer. The second amp drives the surround bookshelf speakers.

Gotcha