Answered

The predominance of HDMI

• 2 November 2022
  • 2 replies

I own a Beam2 connected with my LG OLED TV via eARC.

I have a problem… If I choose to hear from TV speakers or BT headphones, after I choose it from the TV, Beam2 retake the control and the sound exit from there and not from TV speakers or BT headphones I choose…

In other words, I can choose to hear from TV speakers or BT headphones only if disconnect the Sonos Beam2 from the TV

Do you think it is acceptable????

icon

Best answer by buzz 2 November 2022, 13:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

This is a “feature” of the LG.

As a work around you can try disabling SIMPLINK in the LG or adding a CEC blocker to the HDMI cable between the TV and BEAM. There will be some operational trade-offs, such as less integrated Volume control. You’ll need to switch to IR control of BEAM’s Volume.

In fairness to all of the designers, it is reasonable to assume that if the user connects a soundbar, the user would prefer to play TV audio through the soundbar, rather than the TV speakers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This does seem to be normal HDMI-CEC behaviour, though I can see it is irritating. Most people get by by temporarily turning off CEC, though LG seems to turn even that back on automatically.

There has been talk that this behaviour is more serious with Sonos devices than with other manufacturers’ devices, but this has not been proven.