Question

Switches from TV to Music after TV is off for 15 minutes.

• 28 April 2020
  • 6 replies

I have a play bar connected in my Living Room with TV grouped with 3 pairs of Sonos One’s in diffferent rooms. If I shut the TV off and turn it back on the sound is fine.  But if I turn the TV on after being off for about 15 minutes, there is no sound because the app switches to Music.  How can I get it to default to TV instead?  We use the TV all the time and it’s frustrating because if I leave (with my phone) there’s no way for anyone else to watch (and listen) to the TV.  You would think after so many years of community discussion about this issue SONOS would have come up with a simple solution to this problem that many users seem to have.  Oh and YES, I DO have TV Autoplay “on”

6 replies

Seems like you’ve got some other issue going on. When the PLAYBAR senses a new signal coming in on the optical connection, it is indeed supposed to swap back to the TV input, as you suggest. 

There’s a couple of initial steps I’d recommend. First, try turning the AutoPlay off for the TV, wait a minute, then turn it back on. I’d then recommend a power cycle of the PLAYBAR, forcing it to reload the software it runs. 

But if that doesn’t work, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of turning the TV on and having it not properly switch back to the TV input, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, and are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. 

Wow thank you for your quick response Bruce! -- I haven’t had the best of success with community posts so I didn’t quite know what to expect.

RE: recommend a power cycle of the PLAYBAR, forcing it to reload the software it runs. 

How do I do that?  Do you mean unplug it and plug it in again, or is there something more than that?

Thanks again,

--- Gary

Heh, my pleasure. We try not to be ogres here. With me, it’s varying levels of success.

Yes, I do indeed mean unplugging it. For a couple of minutes, at least, then plugging it back in. I’m hazarding a guess that there is something wonky (sorry to be so technical) in the software running on the computer in it, so a reload might help. Might, mind you, there’s no guaranty here. 

The way to trigger my ogre response is to claim you’re an engineer, and you’re certain there’s nothing wrong with your local network. In 99% of those cases that get resolved publicly, it turns out it was actually an issue in the network. Sonos isn’t without fault, mind you, any electric device can have failure states, but more often than not, it isn’t Sonos that’s the problem. 

I always try to approach asking for help with an open mind, because there may be something I don’t understand. Sonos network communications are complex enough that making any assumptions that you ‘know’ something is a false economy.

And now you have me on my high horse ;)

We use our sonos system (Playbar and 3 sets of One’s in 3 different rooms) with TV 99% of the time.  When we  listen to music, it is from the TV.  Here’s the problem…

1. About 15 minutes after the TV is turned off, I notice the phone app automatically changes from TV to Music. 
  2. We have sonos set to “TV Autoplay” so that when the TV is turned back on, the app changes back to TV. 
  3. Works fine until a few seconds later when Harmony sends the sound instructions to sonos. 
  4. When that happens, the app is changed back to Music.  And so the TV sound stops.

We need sosos to stop changing the app from TV to Music 15 minutes after the TV is turned off, OR

We need Harmony to stop changing the app from TV to Music when Harmony sends the sound instructions.

Please help!  These are supposed to work together!

Thanks, Gary

@PGary, the Playbar is working as designed. In the Sonos app switch under ‘Browse → TV’ back to TV input.

Notes

All measurements were taken with a 230V or 120V input in environments that simulate the use of Sonos in the home.

Idle is defined as audio muted or paused on all players in the household for at least 3 minutes, and no audio signal is being sent to a line-in connection or home theater player (in most cases, this means that the TV is off).

All Sonos components take 3 minutes to go into idle mode, unless part of a Sonos home theater surround setup. The 3 minutes until idle can be initiated on a surround setup when audio is paused. If pause or mute is not initiated, idle power mode takes 13 minutes for all devices part of a surround setup after the audio signal ceases from the TV. [...]

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/256?language=en