surround systems not working when watching movies

• 10 October 2021
  • 11 replies

I’ve used the guide to setup my home theatre , however, I’ve noticed that surround sound only works when are streaming music but not when are watching movie. 

Has anyone experienced this? Would you like to hear how you resolved it, please 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Not all programs are broadcast in 5.1 sound. What does the app tell you your system is receiving?

Userlevel 7

What model TV are you using? What is your movie source? From what app and device?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Are you really getting surround from streaming, or just stereo from the soundbar and the surrounds?

Not all programs are broadcast in 5.1 sound. What does the app tell you your system is receiving?

Thanks for the reply @nik9669a, not sure I understand what you mean but I can see my products in the app in my living room zone I created. 

if this is not what you mean can you clarify, please? 

What model TV are you using? What is your movie source? From what app and device?

My TV is a Sony XR-65A80J model, movie source is from Netflix & Amazon prime app installed on the TV

Are you really getting surround from streaming, or just stereo from the soundbar and the surrounds?

Am getting surround from streaming music from any source, but once its a movie it only comes from the soundbar and not the surrounds.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not many streaming music providers do surround. Does yours? Or do you just hear music from all speakers?

What does the Sonos app say when you are playing movies? What are the sound settings on your TV set to?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks for the reply @nik9669a, not sure I understand what you mean but I can see my products in the app in my living room zone I created. 

Go to the Rooms selection and select the room with the home theatre system. Turn on the tv and select a program being broadcast on Dolby Digital. The app screen should show tv as source and will then have a further line of text - maybe “Stereo PCM” or “Dolby Digital”. Or you can go to Settings, System, About my system. Scroll down to the HT device. What does it say there?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Am getting surround from streaming music from any source, but once its a movie it only comes from the soundbar and not the surrounds.

You might get sound from the surrounds, but it’s probably not “surround” sound. When playing music sources, the music is sent to both front and rear speakers. Again, check what signal is being received using the steps in my previous post. 

Thanks for the reply @nik9669a, not sure I understand what you mean but I can see my products in the app in my living room zone I created. 

Go to the Rooms selection and select the room with the home theatre system. Turn on the tv and select a program being broadcast on Dolby Digital. The app screen should show tv as source and will then have a further line of text - maybe “Stereo PCM” or “Dolby Digital”. Or you can go to Settings, System, About my system. Scroll down to the HT device. What does it say there?

Thanks, I have do this and it say Dolby Atmos not Dolby Digital

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So you do get surround!

With Atmos you should hear surround sound. Please remember surround sound is just that: surround. With DD or Atmos movies you should hear birds chattering in the garden, helicopters flying overhead, applause during concerts. All conversation for example should come from the front speakers.

In short: maybe you are expecting too much?