Answered

Surround system

• 5 June 2019
  • 7 replies

I have a playbar with a sub and 2 back speakers the sonos one. I set them all up but the back speakers don’t work all the time. There is no microphone light o when the speakers aren’t working and the Alexa isn’t operating as well. I’ve unplugged them and still no change.
Any ideas as to why this is occurring and how to fix this problem?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 June 2019, 23:21

Perhaps it would be best for you to follow my advice and contact Sonos Support to discuss it. Again, I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.
View original

7 replies

Edit: Removed statement that wasn't factual

As to not working all the time, there's different things that might be going on. First is that the source that you're watching may not be in Dolby Digital, which would cause them not to play much of anything. Or, you could have some wifi interference, specifically in the 5Ghz area, causing the signal between the PLAYBAR and the surrounds to be interrupted.

You may want to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I tend to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
bruce
tv setting is set to Dolby digital but i understand that what I’m watching isn’t Dolby digital. Even with the tv off the Alexa isn’t even operating and when I go to my Alexa app it says the speakers are offline.
Its very odd that it would work one day and not the other. I’m thinking of just doing a full reset and install. It’s been quite frustrating
Perhaps it would be best for you to follow my advice and contact Sonos Support to discuss it. Again, I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.
Totally agree with you and I will call. I saw that they are there till 9pm. So I’ll call them when I get in

thank you Bruce
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have a playbar with a sub and 2 back speakers the sonos one. I set them all up but the back speakers don’t work all the time. There is no microphone light o when the speakers aren’t working and the Alexa isn’t operating as well. I’ve unplugged them and still no change.
Any ideas as to why this is occurring and how to fix this problem?

If you have the Sonos One's setup as surrounds with a Playbar Alexa voice services still work. I have the same setup in my bedroom and Alexa is active regardless of the TV being on or not. Note: Alexa voice services in the Sonos One's are deactivated if used as surrounds with a Beam; as it has Alexa voice.

Assuming you have the Alexa app installed on your device, have activated the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App and have activated Alexa in the Sonos app you should have Alexa voice assistance. If the microphone LED is not glowing you must touch the microphone icon on the top of the speaker.

Click the link for instructions on how to setup Alexa: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3517?language=en_US

The surrounds will be mute if there is no surround material in the broadcast for them to process (that's normal). FYI, in the Sonos app you can set the surrounds to act as FULL on speakers when playing music and will automictically revert back to normal surround mode when not.

If you are unsuccessful after this then I suggest you call Sonos Tech support for real time help. No need IMO to submit a diagnostic at this point as I don't believe the speakers are defective. IMO it's more of a setup issue. Then I could be wrong🤔

Cheers!
Aj
thanks for that info. I was able to speak with Sonos support yesterday and they were able to help me out. Seems speakers weren’t picking up the speakers so I had to reboot my router and all was fine. Guy told me could be some interference causing it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Glad you got things sorted out. ☺

You might consider wiring a speaker to your router to setup Boost mode. Wired (or Boost) mode resolves a lot of issues with inference as it places your Sonos on the SonosNet. If wring a speaker is not convenient you could consider the Sonos Boost module (about the size of a hockey puck) to provide the SonosNet. Click the link for more info on Boost setup: https://www.sonos.com/en/support/setting-up-sonos

Cheers!