Question

Surround sound speakers not working with Sony OLED Bravia 65'

• 10 September 2017
  • 4 replies

I just purchased 2 Play 1's, a Sub and a PlayBase. I have connected the system successfully to my Sony TV, brand new also. Unfortunately, I am not getting Dolby 5.1 surround sound. I verified this on my Sonos App by looking at "Settings" and then "About My Sonos" which shows an "Audio In" note regarding my PlayBase that indicates "Stereo" not "Dolby Digital 5.1". But also the 2 Play 1's are not working. They connected fine, but there is no sound from them. I am not very technical, so cannot really troubleshoot anymore. Diagnostics 7822627 if anyone can help?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Ok, So I have the 55" Sony OLED setup with a Playbar, Sub and 2 x Play 1's. I have no issues getting 5.1 surround out of the setup. There are a couple of settings you should check. First check that you have the built in speakers on the OLED switched off (under the 'Speakers' settings select 'Audio System'). This ensures that sound will only go through the optical output from the OLED to your Sonos setup. Secondly, check the settings on each device that is connected via HDMI to the TV. For example make sure the sound settings on your cable box are set to output Surround. Same with any medial players or game consoles. Test again.
Thanks so much for replying, really appreciate it. Speakers were already set on Audio system, but the cable box was set on Stereo and I adjusted to Dolby 5.1 and the playbase now reflects this, so partially fixed. My issue withe the 2 x Play 1's remains though and Im not getting any sound out of them.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi dunkie26,

Nylon made some great suggestions about configuring the audio output type to Dolby Digital.

When looking at the diagnostic, it appears that the PLAY:1s are not connecting to the 5GHz band that the PLAYBASE is outputting. In addition, it appears that the PLAYBASE and SUB are connected to an Actiontec router and the PLAY:1s are connected to an Arris router. This is why they are not outputting any sound.

To remedy this, please power down the router, modem, PLAYBAR, SUB, and PLAY:1s for at least 30 seconds. After doing this, please plug the router and modem into power first and wait for it to boot up. If you're using any access points or extenders, don't plug those in until all of your Sonos players boot up. After the Internet fully comes on, please plug the PLAYBAR and SUB into power first and wait for it to show a solid white light. When it does, please plug the PLAY:1s into power and wait for them to boot up. Once complete, try playing TV audio again. Let us know how it goes.
As an update. The issue is more complex and apparently due to the Play 1 speakers connecting to a different wireless box we have with Cox wireless internet. We have a big house and 2 internet boxes. I was told by Sonos to call Cox, but they couldnt resolve over the phone and told me they would need to send a technician over. In the meantime I turned of my second wireless box and it fixed it. Ill keep everyone updated as to what Cox can do to fix the problem.