Question

Surround sound out of Stereo source

• 26 April 2020
  • 5 replies

1. When I am listening to Deezer, Amazon music, or any source that is NOT the TV and does NOT have 5.1 encoding, somewhere in the Sonos software there is something that tells Sonos to take this stereo soundtrack and put it through some sort of encoding so that sound comes out of the surround speakers. 
    Would you agree with that statement?  Yes/No?

2. If so, then you would agree that is done without breaking the surround sound pair and re-establishing those speakers as a stereo pair.  Yes/No?

If the answer to both of the above questions is yes,(and I do not see how it cannot be)  then what I am asking SPECIFICALLY is how do I activate that switch so when I am listening to stereo sound from my TV, I can put the sound through the same encoding Sonos uses automatically for other stereo sources, such as Deezer, Amazon Music, etc?

Please note - when watching TV and I look at the 'About my system", the Beam does see the TV input as Dolby Digital 5.1.

Does my question make sense?  

Please advise

5 replies

That setting is only for music sources (aka sources that are not the TV input).  It is a popular request to have a setting for TV sources, but so far it has not been implemented.

Since there are so many request for it, and since it seems to be a rational request, shouldn’t Sonos consider it?  Especially if it improves customer satisfaction?

Since there are so many request for it, and since it seems to be a rational request, shouldn’t Sonos consider it?  Especially if it improves customer satisfaction?

There’s thousands of requests that get implemented, and thousands that do not, for various technical and/or economic reasons.   I have no idea about the inner machinations at Sonos in regards to this particular feature, and I won’t speculate either. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
  1. When I am listening to Deezer, Amazon music, or any source that is NOT the TV and does NOT have 5.1 encoding, somewhere in the Sonos software there is something that tells Sonos to take this stereo soundtrack and put it through some sort of encoding so that sound comes out of the surround speakers. 
    Would you agree with that statement?  Yes/No?

2. If so, then you would agree that is done without breaking the surround sound pair and re-establishing those speakers as a stereo pair.  Yes/No?

If the answer to both of the above questions is yes,(and I do not see how it cannot be)  then what I am asking SPECIFICALLY is how do I activate that switch so when I am listening to stereo sound from my TV, I can put the sound through the same encoding Sonos uses automatically for other stereo sources, such as Deezer, Amazon Music, etc?

Please note - when watching TV and I look at the 'About my system", the Beam does see the TV input as Dolby Digital 5.1.

Does my question make sense?  

Please advise

Yes, it does makes sense.

It is called multichannel stereo and it is implemented by all home theater manufacturers.

It just replicates left stereo channel on left surround channel and the same on right channels.

I am waiting for this option since many years.... 

But there is no clue about anything in development until now unfortunately.....

Badge

I would also like this feature.