Answered

Surround sound does not work: Beam + Sub + 2 One SL on Samsung The Frame 2019

• 25 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi all,

could not find a solution for this one by using the search function, so I have to ask myself.

Right upfront: I very much appreciate everyone’s support. THANK YOU! 

Config ( TV Room): 

• Beam 
  • Sub 
  • 2 x One SL
  • TV: Samsung the Frame 2019 (QE65LS03RAUXZG)

The speakers are set up as a surround system for the Samsung the Frame 2019 TV via the Sonos app (bream connected via HDMI, rest through WiFi). Trueplay is activated.

There are 5 more Sonos One connected to the WiFi throughout the whole flat. 

So far, everything is working very smoothly. Except for…

Problem: 

The surround sound in the TV Room seems to work as suppose while setting up Trueplay (the testing sounds work perfectly). However, as indicated...

• ...once I start watching e.g. Netflix there is no surround coming through the rear speakers (the 2 One SL) any more (but a very silent ‘mirrored sound’ form the front speaker (beam). 
  • Dolby surround sound tests via Youtube clips do not work either (render the same result as described).
  • When I open the TV’s system prefs. and try to switch from PCM (which the HDMI device - Sonos - is running on) to Dolby Digital it gives “Selection not possible”  or smth.  similar.  However, as a matter of fact, the 2019 The Frame does support Dolby Digital so does Sonos - for proper Dolby Surround 

Questions:   

• Any idea what to do to get the TV connected to Sonos via DD as it’s supposed to be (according to the Sonos FAQ at least)? 
  • If the TV is connected via PCM only (instead of DD) Sonos is supposed to emulate surround sound. However, this does not really seem to work while using the YT test clips or Netflix? 
  • Or could it be that Netflix movies and YT test pages  don’t deliver the right audio format for that? If so, what does then and how to test? 

In the end, Sonos should be connected to the TV via Dolby Digital to get the results I paid for, right? 
I could not find any information in the Samsung manual, hence checking here. 

Thanks all! 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 25 January 2020, 17:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Sonos can’t interpret Dolby Digital Plus.

Many TVs make the selection of a format unavailable (grayed out) if the current signal coming in doesn’t carry that information. So if you’re watching a show carried only in stereo, the only option in the settings you can choose is stereo. If it’s coming in in Dolby Digital, they activate that choice, etc. 

If the “About My System” shows that the Beam is getting a 5.1 signal, then if you have the surrounds and SUB connected, it would be sending the appropriate signal to them. If you don’t have them connected, it stays all on the three front channels. 

WM:2 indicates that the surrounds and SUB are “bonded” to the Beam, as they should be. WM:1 means the Beam is connected to your WiFi.

Awesome @Airgetlam. That pretty much says it all. 

I learned all I need (to get my 5.1 going) today. 

Thanks guys. Have a good one. 

You’re most welcome!

Userlevel 1
Badge

YouTube clips generally don't work for testing  and output stereo so I wouldn't trust that.  Is your TV set to output dolby digital or dolby digital plus? Where is the content coming from? Another hdmi source or apps/internal TV tuner?

Fundamentally, Netflix will be in dolby digital plus so you will need your TV to transcode that into dolby digital. 

Thanks @AndyKnight

Well, 

1. My TV output is on PCM as Dolby Digital can’t be selected (says “it's not possible” or smth. similar). DD+ can also not be selected → but the Frame 2019 should support both. 
  2. Also, to my knowledge, Sonos Beam does only support DD (not DD+). Hence, even if I’d be able to solve problem 1, Netflix sound streaming would still not work properly?

One of my core question actual was: any idea how to get DD (or DD+) from my Samsung The Frame 2019 into my Sonos beam (and co.)?

THANKS! 

OK. I have figured it out. 

I can switch the TV to DD while I’m *actively* e.g. watching netflix. Only DD (not DD+ - since the Beam does not support more).

The surround def. seems to be working better now. 

If I’m checking my system via the Sonos app it also shows that the beam is getting a 5.1 input. So that is good! :) 

Last open qs:

• the app is also showing that only the beam is getting the 5.1 (which makes sense). Are sub and rears then automatically using that signal through the sonos surround setup?
  • The rears and the sub are listed as WM2 in the app “my system” overview whereas the beam (same surround system) is marked as WM1. Does anyone know what it means and if it’s good that way?

Thanks!!