Surround problems

• 12 February 2017
  • 11 replies

Had my playbar and 2 play1's working as surround, but then moved them to my other tv. Now the 2 play 1's dont work while watching tv. They do work when watching blu ray. Is my problem because this tv is second running off the same dish reciever? If not, what is my problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

So you moved your PLAYBAR + PLAY:1s to the second TV, taking an optical feed from that TV?

It's possible that the first TV was able to do Dolby passthrough from the HDMI to the optical connection, whereas the second TV can't. In that case the stereo downmix which the PLAYBAR receives may produce rather modest output from the surrounds. Go to Settings/About My Sonos System in a controller and see what Audio In says.

What make/model are the two TVs?
This shows when playing bluray
Err no. The Blu-ray must have been stopped. It says "Audio In: Silence". Are we having reading problems?
Does this help? Sorry im not smart about this stuff obviously
Well the PLAYBAR is seeing only stereo content in that picture, so output from the surrounds will be pretty modest. PLAYBAR has to synthesise what it thinks might be 'ambient' sound and send that to the PLAY:1s. For some TV channels this means there's next to nothing for the surrounds to do.

You say Blu-ray sounds goods. Play one of those and take another look at About My Sonos System.
1st tv was samsung un55ju6400f 2nd is samsung un65ju7100f
One of my Play 3 Surround speakers will not connect. When I go to connect the speaker to the power source it displays solid "white" for 3 seconds and then blinks white 5 times and simply goes dark after that. When trying to connect the sub as instructed it does not respond. I submitted a diagnostic report #7095482.
How bout now?
Err no. The Blu-ray must have been stopped. It says "Audio In: Silence". Are we having reading problems?

Did you give up on me just cuz im a bimbo? 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Did you give up on me just cuz im a bimbo? :)

No

You said the Blu-Ray was "working" yet your pictures show the Playbar is NOT receiving a signal (or at least one that it can decode into audio).

Probably/possibly your BR is outputting DTS to your TV and if that is being output to the Playbar it cannot decode so there will be silence form the Playbar and surrounds.
Thanks for your help