Answered

Sub Color - White or Black Show Less Wear

I prefer the appearance of the Sub in black, but I noticed some older threads about the first generation sub’s black gloss finish getting easily scratched.

Any thoughts as to whether the black or white finish will show materially less wear over time (3+ years)?

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 3 May 2020, 21:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Mine are out of the traffic areas and are unlikely to get scuffed up, if they were I’d either buy a Sonos Sub cover from Amazon or other source or more likely get my mom to make one for me for a lot less money.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Mine are out of the traffic areas and are unlikely to get scuffed up, if they were I’d either buy a Sonos Sub cover from Amazon or other source or more likely get my mom to make one for me for a lot less money.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I suggested something, no links or pictures but it is being moderated. 

Sorry.

Possibly triggered the automated system?

Stanley,

I’m curious. Did the system tell you that your posts were being moderated as you submitted or did you simply notice that they disappeared?

Thank you for the thoughts.

Still interested in any input as to whether either the white or black finish is less likely to show wear.  Or if both are equally good or bad.

You may wait a long time for input. It would, I suspect, unusual for a Sonos user to have one of each in order to compare.

Understand. 

I figured someone might say something like: “ the black shows wear easily - even just from dusting “  and someone else might say “ the white has been fine for me “ and I’d get some anecdotal guidance from that. 

Some of the older reviews are concerning. And so I’m trying to figure out if the issue with easy scratching still exists.

The black is a piano lacquer that can be easily “hazed” by improper cleaning -- just like a piano. My black SUB is several years old and I don’t have any hazing.

Sorry, one of mine is underneath the couch, the other is underneath the bed. I don’t see either of them, just hear/feel them. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @Ready AF 

I have both black and white subs.  As has been stated mine are not in traffic areas as they are in corners. So no one is tripping over them or accidentally kicking them with their shoe.

If being kicked by a shoe the white will show scuff marks usually as black streaks. On the other hand a black sub may not show the scuff (as a color) but you may notice a dull mark which identifies the scuff.

Applying pressure when dusting will actually push dust particles into the surface of the sub (white or black) causing fine scratches. Those scratches may only be visible under certain lighting or at various angles. On a black sub the scratches overtime can become so many that the sub appears dull and gray rather than black. On a white sub the finish loses its gloss.

Deep scratches appear plainly visible regardless of color.

I generally use a swiffer on my subs for lite dusting. Air freshener may leave a fine mist on the sub that dries as a haze. If that happens I use a very damp cloth to moisten the surface and gently wipe dry with a cotton cloth going in one direction. Never clean or wipe in a circular pattern. No polishing compounds...ever.

I have a sub that is behind an entertainment center so it’s not easy to dust. I purchased a cloth and placed over it to keep dust off and out of it. It can’t be seen so who cares about cloth. There are some who might invest in a cover similiar to that shown in the link:

https://www.coloryoursound.com/speakers/sub-speakers.html

Bottom-line

1. Position the sub out of traffic areas
  2. Follow my cleaning suggestions
  3. Get rid of cats that like to lay on top of things :relaxed:

PS

They are lacquer and will scratch easily. It’s just the nature of a lacquer finish

Cheers!

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I have a black unit from 2012 or 2013. It’s the mate version and it still looks fine. I’ve moved four times and moved it from place to place without any issues.  As someone mentioned, it has always been hidden away somewhere out of traffic, e.g. underneath or behind the couch or in a corner. 

Userlevel 7

@Tejs Dyrvig Ernst 

The matte versions were designed for that exact purpose...not to show scratches. Unfortunately, they have not been available for a few years. So that won’t help the OP as their concern is with the lacquer finish. :relaxed:

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

@AjTrek1 

Mate is always the cool option. They should have kept it in production. Maybe that’s the big reveal coming on 6th and the reason for the sale on subs: the reintroduction of the mate version!

There were production quality control issues with matte that drove up the costs. In the marketplace I think that it would have been difficult to raise prices on both or charge more for matte. 

Thanks everyone - much appreciated 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m sure I triggered the auto-moderation function, no clue why though. You can see the post now, just above the moderation one.

I got a bar across the page just above the post I was trying to make saying moderated… and the post was still open to edit, it didn’t refresh the page as a new post usually does.