Answered

Still issues with Arc Bass

• 4 January 2021
  • 8 replies

I’ve recently both two One sls and used them for a week. I was really happy with the sound and decided to add an Arc (not knowing that there were bass issues). After installing is was disappointed with the sound especially  in comparison with the two One sls. 

After fiddling around with true play (4x) the highs and mids sound fine. The bass however remains bad. Muddy/ clipping or something even at low volume. As I am a techno/ deephouse listener I expected deep bass. I was quite impressed with the bass the two small ones already displayed and expected more of the arc. 

TV/movies bass sounds better.

It seems that there was already a software update (which I’ve done) but I can’t hear any improvement on heavy bass tracks.

Does anyone still experience the same issue?( I am new to this forum so maybe already covered on another thread) If not, I am returning the Arc to the store.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 5 January 2021, 15:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

When the Sonos Arc was first released, some users complained about muddy bass and Sonos released a firmware update to fix the issue.

If you have the latest firmware installed, performed Trueplay tuning, and adjusted the EQ and still aren’t satisfied with the bass, you can always add a Sonos Sub which would probably give you the bass response you are looking for. 

Many thanks for your quick answer!

Yes I did all that. Unfortunately, as I mentioned it seems as if the bass speakers of the Arc at ‘out of breath’ even at 60% volume. Like in the old days as a kid when you where listening to your small speakers in your room at max volume. 

The bass response of my two ones did not do that even at max volume. That’s why I am asking, since I was not expecting it from the Arc. Adding a Sub seems indeed the best option but given the price of the Arc I am a bit disappointed with it’s performance. E.g.  Dreams from Fleetwood Mac sounds really nice so I know there is quality sound in it. 

Do you maybe know if this is something Sonos is working on? 

Userlevel 7

Sonos released a firmware update to address the initial muddy bass issue. There is an entire thread dedicated to the problem:

Since Sonos believes the firmware update fixed the problem and most users have said the issue has been resolved, I wouldn’t think that Sonos would still be working on it.

I have just bought the Sonos Arc, and I am also experiencing the same issues with the bass as you have described. I am considering to buy the Sub aswell to see if that will resolve my issue, but I think that the Arc should be handling the bass better because the two Play:1 that I have never does this even at full volume, so I think it is something with the software that still needs to be fixed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I find the bass better on my sonos Beam than on the ARC by itself!

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

When the Sonos Arc was first released, some users complained about muddy bass and Sonos released a firmware update to fix the issue.

If you have the latest firmware installed, performed Trueplay tuning, and adjusted the EQ and still aren’t satisfied with the bass, you can always add a Sonos Sub which would probably give you the bass response you are looking for. 

ahould just get the Sub anyway imo

both the arc and playbar sound a bit meh without the Sub 

i have the same problem. i bought 2 arc and 1 sub, the arc without sub is terrible sound of the bass. any upgrade not solve this problem and my Old Bean sound best to the arc.

Same problem. Is deceptioned, the beam sound best..