Step it up Sonos - New competition from Bose

• 10 October 2013
  • 82 replies

Show first post

82 replies

It is interesting that people are starting to think of Sonos as primarily a wireless speaker company. I have a large Sonos system consisting mostly of ZP90 and ZP120 zoneplayers, several CR-200s and a few subs. Bose doesn't make a single product that overlaps my system and yet they are being held up as a potential Sonos killer? I could see something like the NuVo Wireless Audio System maturing into serious competition someday but the Bose line doesn't even cover the basics.
Userlevel 2
I'm hoping that some increased competition will help drive down the cost a little of the Connect and/or Connect Amp. These seem like some very awesome products that are not well known by the general public.

I would love to pick up a Connect and a Connect Amp to use with some existing speakers I have, but at their current price point, don't seem to be worth it. For the price of a Connect, I would probably just get a Play3 or Play5 - this makes it a bit of a hard sell on the Connect.
Was just browsing Amazon. Best Sellers list, bookshelf speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/3236451011/ref=sr_bs_1

1. P1 (black)
2. P3
3. P5
4. P1 (white)
7. P3
10. P5
I'm hoping that some increased competition will help drive down the cost a little of the Connect and/or Connect Amp. These seem like some very awesome products that are not well known by the general public.

I would love to pick up a Connect and a Connect Amp to use with some existing speakers I have, but at their current price point, don't seem to be worth it. For the price of a Connect, I would probably just get a Play3 or Play5 - this makes it a bit of a hard sell on the Connect.

Why would one expect a product line which averages $100 more per unit to drive prices down?
Userlevel 2
Why would one expect a product line which averages $100 more per unit to drive prices down?

So Sonos can increase their brand penetration and encourage more to buy into their ecosystem.

A lot of people that would be looking at a Connect see that Apple (another "premium" type of product company) offers a comparable device (Airport Express) for $99.
So Sonos can increase their brand penetration and encourage more to buy into their ecosystem.

A lot of people that would be looking at a Connect see that Apple (another "premium" type of product company) offers a comparable device (Airport Express) for $99.

Apple has been offering the Express for many years at $99, and Sonos has lowered the price of the Connect exactly zero times. I highly doubt Bose is going to force them to charge less for the Connect them when Bose offers no Connect equivalent and price their Sonos-type speakers at an average of $100 more than Sonos. If anything, it establishes Sonos as a more established, more reliable (according to earlier reviews) and less expensive alternative to Bose. Which means Sonos is priced just fine.