Question

SoundBar Quality

• 1 March 2017
  • 8 replies

I recently purchased a Sonos soundbar for my LG OLED TV, and I am very disappointed with the results. The sound quality is no better than the original TV speakers. I have verified that the audio is hooked up correctly using the fiber-optic cable and the audio is coming from the Sonos soundbar only. Is there anything else I am missing, or is that as good as it gets?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Check in "My Sonos" in the controller and look for the Playbar and see what it says as Audio in

I suspect it will be Stereo - If you get Dolby Digital 5.1 it will sound "better".
Apart from that it is very hard to answer your question
Sorry...I am new with Sonos and do not understand. Is "My Sonos" supposed to be on my cell phone app? If so, I cannot find it.
Sorry...I am new with Sonos and do not understand. Is "My Sonos" supposed to be on my cell phone app? If so, I cannot find it.

In the phone app, under Settings->About My Sonos System. The Playbar entry will show the format of the source.
And then spend a moment or two looking at your TV's manual, and audio settings. We all believe that the output is set to "stereo", and it should be adjusted to "Dolby Digital". You may need to go into the audio settings for each device that you have connected to the TV with HDMI and make a similar change (any PlayStation, XBox, DVD/Blueray player, cable box, etc.) Basically what goes into the TV needs to be Dolby Digital, and the TV has to pass that same signal through your optical cable to the Sonos Playbar. The Playbar will then take that information and interpolate it as necessary, depending on whether you have surrounds and a sub, or not.
I have and love my Sonos. No one can beat their technology. But I think that it's time they focus more on the quality of the sound! I don't think many can argue that if you're looking for supreme sound quality you can't beat Bose,Klipsch,etc. And it's because of the speakers! Sonos needs to step it up a bit with speaker quality
I have and love my Sonos. No one can beat their technology. But I think that it's time they focus more on the quality of the sound! I don't think many can argue that if you're looking for supreme sound quality you can't beat Bose,Klipsch,etc. And it's because of the speakers! Sonos needs to step it up a bit with speaker quality

It's subjective, but every review I have seen finds the Play:5 Gen 2 to be superior in sound quality to any of Sonos' competitors, including Bose.

And by the way, except for some of their classic passive speakers, mentioning Bose and "supreme sound quality" in the same sentence will get you laughed out of a room of true sound aficionados. Google "no highs, no lows, must be Bose". Bose is the kind of the marketers.

It's subjective, but every review I have seen finds the Play:5 Gen 2 to be superior in sound quality to any of Sonos' competitors, including Bose.

And by the way, except for some of their classic passive speakers, mentioning Bose and "supreme sound quality" in the same sentence will get you laughed out of a room of true sound aficionados. Google "no highs, no lows, must be Bose". Bose is the kind of the marketers.

I mention Bose,etc but obviously leave out the very high end speakers such as Energy, Mcintosh,etc. But I think you get my point. Sonos just needs to to improve a bit

I mention Bose,etc but obviously leave out the very high end speakers such as Energy, Mcintosh,etc. But I think you get my point. Sonos just needs to to improve a bit

I'm sure Sonos is quite happy with the almost exclusively rave reviews about their sound quality. The fact that some disagree is probably not bothering them much.