Sound cutting in and out on Sonos Arc after playing Dolby Atmos content on Apple TV 4K

Sound cutting in and out on my Sonos Arc after playing Dolby Atmos content on Apple TV 4K 

I’ve had my Sonos Arc and Sub Gen 3 for about two weeks now and I’m very satisfied with the sound quality, but I’m having some very annoying issues with audio cutting in and out… 
I have the latest LG OLED TV, a LG GX (same as the CX, just wall mounted). The only two boxes I have hooked up to my TV is an Apple TV 4K and a PS4 Pro, but I’m having sound issues on my Apple TV.
Before I explain the problem, yes, I’ve pretty much done all the troubleshooting I can do. Plug everything in and out, check that the cables is properly connected, updated everything, the Arc, TV and Apple TV, everything should be up to date as I’m writing this post. 

Okay, so here’s the issue, with a half ish solution. 

My issue: 
If I play any content that supports Dolby Atmos on iTunes, Apple TV+, Netflix etc. and try to play some music through the Apple Music app or watch any video on YouTube on my Apple TV after that, the audio cuts in and out every other second. This even happens after playing a Dolby Atmos movie on iTunes and when I go back to the movie menu, the audio starts to cut in and out. It doesn't help to turn the TV and Apple TV on and off and it doesn't help to just restart the Apple TV itself. 

The half ish solution:

The only fix that I found that worked, is to play a movie that is in 5.1 after playing Dolby Atmos supported content. If I do that and then go into Apple Music or YouTube, the audio is fine and it doesn't cut in and out every other second. 

The issue: 
So it seem like the Arc might have an issue going from Dolby Atmos straight over to stereo sound. But going from Dolby Atmos to 5.1 or from 5.1 to stereo works just fine.
It work perfectly the other way around, from stereo to 5.1 or Dolby Atmos. The only thing I hear then is a little loud zippering or buzzing sound, but I guess that’s just because the Arc is switching the sound receiving signal? If that zippering / buzzing sound shouldn't happen, let me know. 

The funny part: 

Here’s the the funny part though, if I play something in Dolby Atmos on my Apple TV and after that play a YouTube video on the built-in YouTube app on the TV, the audio is fine. Same if I AirPlay music to the Arc. So I’m a little unsure if there’s something that has to be fixed from Sonos’s end or Apple’s? 

I’m seeing a lot of people on here tags @Ryan A  and @Kyle A, so I’m gonna do that too, seeing as they come up with a lot of good answers. 

If anyone else has had similar issues, let me know.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

110 replies

I can tell you that this is no way a Sonos problem.   I tell you because I own a LG 77GX with no external sound (using internal speakers only).  This is the only forum that I found on the internet that is discussing this issue.  That is why I joined.   

I am having the same exact problem where if I play something in Dolby A, and then go to some other app, it will do the one second sound on and one second sound off loop.   The only thing that fixes this is to go into some other app like Netflix and find a program in 5.1 (and I only found this solution by reading this thread, thank the Lord lol) and play this for a few seconds and then you can go back to the app you are trying to play and it will play fine.   Nothing else fixes this. 

I can recreate and fix this problem all day long by doing the above. 

Before this, I exchanged my cables (belkin high speed) and then after that exchanged the apple tv 4k and then the tv was exchanged since I have only owned this for under 2 weeks (this issue started from day one).  So, I’m still dying for a solutions but I’m so glad I found a temporary fix.   I hope this info helps you guys but I’ll be following just in case there is a permanent fix.  

I was able to speak to Apple and they informed me that my Apple TV’s software was on a beta version (14.2).  They said it should be at 14.2.0.  So they are saying it’s something that will be patched when released but for now I just have to deal with it it or go and trade it in.  

Badge +1

I can tell you that this is no way a Sonos problem.   I tell you because I own a LG 77GX with no external sound (using internal speakers only).  This is the only forum that I found on the internet that is discussing this issue.  That is why I joined.   

I am having the same exact problem where if I play something in Dolby A, and then go to some other app, it will do the one second sound on and one second sound off loop.   The only thing that fixes this is to go into some other app like Netflix and find a program in 5.1 (and I only found this solution by reading this thread, thank the Lord lol) and play this for a few seconds and then you can go back to the app you are trying to play and it will play fine.   Nothing else fixes this. 

I can recreate and fix this problem all day long by doing the above. 

Before this, I exchanged my cables (belkin high speed) and then after that exchanged the apple tv 4k and then the tv was exchanged since I have only owned this for under 2 weeks (this issue started from day one).  So, I’m still dying for a solutions but I’m so glad I found a temporary fix.   I hope this info helps you guys but I’ll be following just in case there is a permanent fix.  

I was able to speak to Apple and they informed me that my Apple TV’s software was on a beta version (14.2).  They said it should be at 14.2.0.  So they are saying it’s something that will be patched when released but for now I just have to deal with it it or go and trade it in.  

I would be shocked if all these people were on the beta Apple TV software. I hope I am wrong and I will check mine but this sounds like a support rep blaming any problem on “beta software”

I completely agree.   He said that the software versions cannot be reverted so the only way would be to exchange the device for a new one that comes with beta software.    I’m going to watch some Monday night football today but I’m taking it back to Best buy tomorrow for an exchange so I’ll let you know if it works tomorrow.    

Badge +1

I completely agree.   He said that the software versions cannot be reverted so the only way would be to exchange the device for a new one that comes with beta software.    I’m going to watch some Monday night football today but I’m taking it back to Best buy tomorrow for an exchange so I’ll let you know if it works tomorrow.    

My Apple TV is on 14.0.2 (non beta) and I still have that issue so it is not a beta software issue. 

Hi, I do not have the problem anymore but I contacted Samsung and the answers was:

1.Make sure an adequate cable is being used.  
Since most of TV are now 4k, you need to use a high-speed certified HDMI cable for HDMI connections to work properly. 
So we should always first make sure you is using such a cable? 

2. Try with an other cable.  
Faulty HDMI cable can be a thing, it's always a good idea to recommend them trying with a different cable, so we don't use alot of time troubleshooting the TV or HDMI device when the issues is caused by a faulty cable.  

Are you in use of a splitter or a receiver. 
If the use any of these, connect the devices directly instead. 
This is to test if the receiver or splitter is causing the issue.  

3. Try a different HDMI port.  
Test the HDMI device in a different port on the TV, to isolate if there is an issue with only one of the HDMI ports, or if it affects all of them  

4. Update the software on the TV.  
TVs without the latest update might not be able to communicate correctly with HDMI devices because of HDCP. So it's always a good idea to update the software on both the TV and the HDMI device. (Remember to check the Samsung website also, since some updates are available on the website for updating via USB before they can be installed through the menu.)  

5. Check HDCP version on the HDMI device.  
The HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) protocol enables HDMI devices to communicate securely with each other to prevent illegal copying of the signal sent from either device, but a difference in HDCP version can prevent 2 HDMI devices from talking with each other right. 

Samsung TVs from 2014 and before use HDCP 1.4 (Some HU models have HDCP 2.2 on their HDMI 4 port) Samsung TVs from 2015 and after use HDCP 2.2 The issue with the different versions is, that devices which use 2.2 will not be able to communicate with devices that only uses 1.4, so some old HDMI devices will not be compatible with newer TVs.  

6. Try HDMI on a different TV.  
Try the HDMI device on a different TV, so we can make sure if the fault lies with the TV or the HDMI device.  

7. Try EDID Re-Write on the TV. 
If the above has been tried without it fixing the issue, we can try and reset the EDID of the TVs HDMI ports. 
For this troubleshooting you need to contact us on the phone, then we can to a remote of your tv and try to solve it.

8. Try factory reset of the TV. 
If all else doesn't help, we can try with a factory reset though service menu.
Even for this you need to call us, we need to do a service reset of the tv.

I guess you have already tried this

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

This happens on my ATV4 and Roku Ultra with anything Atmos related.  So, it is not just Apple related.  So, excited to watch Mandalorian in Atmos only to be disappointed.  Sonos you need to fix this asap.  This is not acceptable.  Obvious Sonos issues based on all the posts above.  

I would stop selling the Arc until this is fixed.  Especially since you are including a free subscription to Disney App and the millions of people that want to watch Mandalorian in Atmos.

I am connected to Sony A9G and never had issues before with Atmos until recently.  I have had the Arc since it first came out too.  Tested Atmos on my Sony A9G built in speakers and they play Atoms just fine on same sources.

Badge

Hi 

I’m tagging onto this thread, may have same / similar issue with sound cutting in/out. 

Samsung QE75Q90 tv connected to Arc with a high speed 8k cable. TV has latest version 1372 software and Arc now with version 12.2. 

The issue has only recently started to occur and happens almost every time the TV is switched back on. 

Ive checked the usual tv setting and re-connected the tv through the Sonos App. The only solution so far is to disconnect, wait 30 seconds and re-connect the hdmi cable.

any help appreciated.

Add another one to the list. Appreciate all the information from posters.

I am having the same one second on, one second off and occasional zipping noise when switching content. Occurs after playing Atmos content from Apple TV 4K (only external device connected)

LG cx 65”, arc, ATV4k 32gb.

Cheers

Did the lastest software update from Sonos fix this? There was an update to support multi channel earc in these release notes

I’m away this weekend but will upgrade once I get back.

Did the lastest software update from Sonos fix this? There was an update to support multi channel earc in these release notes

I’ve updated my sonos app to the latest version and the issue still occurs

I’ve updated my sonos app to the latest version and the issue still occurs

I’m also still having all of the described issues after the LPCM update

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Having the exact same issue. Noticed it today while testing the new LPCM functionality. Although it’s not related I think.  After playing Atmos content on Netflix on the Apple TV 4K. Switching to other content, not necessarily on Netflix, causes the sound to cut in and out constantly. Also sometimes experiencing the loud zippy sound sometimes. Mostly while starting some content. I found that changing the audio output on the Apple TV 4K to Dolby Digital, playing some content and changing it back to “Best available” fixes the issue. Until I play Atmos content again ofcourse.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Having the exact same issue. Noticed it today while testing the new LPCM functionality. Although it’s not related I think.  After playing Atmos content on Netflix on the Apple TV 4K. Switching to other content, not necessarily on Netflix, causes the sound to cut in and out constantly. Also sometimes experiencing the loud zippy sound sometimes. Mostly while starting some content. I found that changing the audio output on the Apple TV 4K to Dolby Digital, playing some content and changing it back to “Best available” fixes the issue. Until I play Atmos content again ofcourse.

Exact same here, surely Sonos can replicate these issues and fix them.

Same with me as well. I have the latest update.

Same issue here as well, with Apple TV sound cutting in and out on Sonos Arc after playing atmos content. 

setup:

Apple TV 4K

LG CX

Sonos Arc + dual Five for surround

Disabling atmos on Apple TV is a workaround but really hoped that the audio signature changes would be handled ok after the LCPM update.

Sonos, this is a serieus and annoying issue, please assist in fixing this in a next release.

other than that, love the Arc, what a sound and what a ease of use.

Same issue, same setup:

LG CX 65 - eARC enabled

Apple TV 4K - HDMI 1

Arc - HDMI 2

Any sound format after playing an Atmos track skips in/out every half second.  Disabling Atmos on Apple TV seems to be the only “fix” at the moment 

This is definitely not how I expected to enjoy all 3 of these “premium” products

What’s strange is once the audio starts skipping, if I disconnect the Arc and just play sound through the LG speakers, the audio still skips.  To me that indicates the Apple TV is at least somewhat to blame?

That said, before I had the Arc the Apple TV and LG CX had no issues by themselves with all sound playback, including decoding Atmos.

Has anyone had better results with different streaming devices?

Badge

My config:

LG CX 65 - eARC enabled

Apple TV 4K - HDMI 1

Arc - HDMI 2

Exactly like Hamzah

Same issues like everyone else

Please Sonos sort this out !

Badge +1

Same issue, same setup:

LG CX 65 - eARC enabled

Apple TV 4K - HDMI 1

Arc - HDMI 2

Any sound format after playing an Atmos track skips in/out every half second.  Disabling Atmos on Apple TV seems to be the only “fix” at the moment 

This is definitely not how I expected to enjoy all 3 of these “premium” products

What’s strange is once the audio starts skipping, if I disconnect the Arc and just play sound through the LG speakers, the audio still skips.  To me that indicates the Apple TV is at least somewhat to blame?

That said, before I had the Arc the Apple TV and LG CX had no issues by themselves with all sound playback, including decoding Atmos.

Has anyone had better results with different streaming devices?

It is unlikely this is a Sonos issue and is most likely an Apple TV/LG CX issue. 

it also can be solved (IIRC) by turning off the tv and then turning it back on. Not the best solution but hopefully a software update is forthcoming from either LG or Apple. 

Sound cutting in and out on my Sonos Arc after playing Dolby Atmos content on Apple TV 4K 

I’ve had my Sonos Arc and Sub Gen 3 for about two weeks now and I’m very satisfied with the sound quality, but I’m having some very annoying issues with audio cutting in and out… 
I have the latest LG OLED TV, a LG GX (same as the CX, just wall mounted). The only two boxes I have hooked up to my TV is an Apple TV 4K and a PS4 Pro, but I’m having sound issues on my Apple TV.
Before I explain the problem, yes, I’ve pretty much done all the troubleshooting I can do. Plug everything in and out, check that the cables is properly connected, updated everything, the Arc, TV and Apple TV, everything should be up to date as I’m writing this post. 

Okay, so here’s the issue, with a half ish solution. 

My issue: 
If I play any content that supports Dolby Atmos on iTunes, Apple TV+, Netflix etc. and try to play some music through the Apple Music app or watch any video on YouTube on my Apple TV after that, the audio cuts in and out every other second. This even happens after playing a Dolby Atmos movie on iTunes and when I go back to the movie menu, the audio starts to cut in and out. It doesn't help to turn the TV and Apple TV on and off and it doesn't help to just restart the Apple TV itself. 

The half ish solution:

The only fix that I found that worked, is to play a movie that is in 5.1 after playing Dolby Atmos supported content. If I do that and then go into Apple Music or YouTube, the audio is fine and it doesn't cut in and out every other second. 

The issue: 
So it seem like the Arc might have an issue going from Dolby Atmos straight over to stereo sound. But going from Dolby Atmos to 5.1 or from 5.1 to stereo works just fine.
It work perfectly the other way around, from stereo to 5.1 or Dolby Atmos. The only thing I hear then is a little loud zippering or buzzing sound, but I guess that’s just because the Arc is switching the sound receiving signal? If that zippering / buzzing sound shouldn't happen, let me know. 

The funny part: 

Here’s the the funny part though, if I play something in Dolby Atmos on my Apple TV and after that play a YouTube video on the built-in YouTube app on the TV, the audio is fine. Same if I AirPlay music to the Arc. So I’m a little unsure if there’s something that has to be fixed from Sonos’s end or Apple’s? 

I’m seeing a lot of people on here tags @Ryan A  and @Kyle A, so I’m gonna do that too, seeing as they come up with a lot of good answers. 

If anyone else has had similar issues, let me know.

Turn your tv on and off only way to reset sound that works for me every time 

Badge

I’m totally staggered by the lack of action on the part of the three parties to pull together and get this sorted out. 

LG GX 65 (tested with and without eARC)

AppleTV 4K (tested with TVOS 14 and 14.2)

Sonos Arc + SL + Sub
Brand new AudioQuest “Coffee” 8K compliant HDMI cabling

These are all supposed to be “premium” offerings, yet the issue has persisted ever since the Arc launch. 

Rebooting the TV, or the Arc usually resolves the issue. Rebooting the AppleTV does not always, unless you physically remove power. 

I also experience the Arc not waking up semi-regularly, have never been able to get surround sound from my Nintendo Switch Dock. Sonos, please get with LG and work this out, it’s awful for both your brands. 

i’m having the same issue. Really hoping it gets fixed soon.

Hi all, I came across this thread while googling the similar issue I have. The only difference being I do not have a Sonos soundbar. I have a Bang and Olufsen Soundstage. So, the issue lies either at Apple’s or LG’s end. So I recommend you email both and explain the issue. Just to add my LG CX is only new since Friday last, previously I had a LG E8 OLED which does not have earc and this issue didn’t occur. There was some slight screen change refresh going from say Disney back to the Apple TV4K main screen but no sound drop/cut.

Userlevel 1

Great news! LG is working on a FIX for this issue:

“We are aware of a compatibility issue related to the Dolby ATMOS and Apple TV. We have a temporary workaround to have the sound work, while we work on developing the fix.

We will need to change a few settings for the workaround. On the LG TV go to:

-  Settings → Sound → Additional Settings → HDMI Input Audio Format → HDMI “PCM” Setting

On the Apple TV we will need to change the following:

-  Settings → Video and Audio → Audio Format → Dolby Atmos “Off” Setting

A fix for this issue should be out in December. Please stay tuned for updates.”

https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/14247/cx-atmos-audio-bug-with-apple-tv-4k

Great news! LG is working on a FIX for this issue:

“We are aware of a compatibility issue related to the Dolby ATMOS and Apple TV. We have a temporary workaround to have the sound work, while we work on developing the fix.

We will need to change a few settings for the workaround. On the LG TV go to:

-  Settings → Sound → Additional Settings → HDMI Input Audio Format → HDMI “PCM” Setting

On the Apple TV we will need to change the following:

-  Settings → Video and Audio → Audio Format → Dolby Atmos “Off” Setting

A fix for this issue should be out in December. Please stay tuned for updates.”

https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/14247/cx-atmos-audio-bug-with-apple-tv-4k

Massive thank you for sharing this great news! Looking forward to the update. 

I’ve been dealing with this and Sonos for months. They’re only solution is to not use Atmos. I’ve even escalated to the executive leadership and they offered me a refund if I return it.  The reality is this product isn’t ready for prime time, it’s a shame too and certainly it not what I expected from Sonos.