Sound cutting in and out on Sonos Arc after playing Dolby Atmos content on Apple TV 4K

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

110 replies

Hi all.

I own an LG 77CX, Apple TV 4K with Sonos Arc and experienced the exact same audio dropout issues after watching Dolby Atmos content on it.  My brother owns an LG 55CX, Apple TV 4K with Sonos Playbar and experienced the same audio drop out on Dolby digital content until we selected the option to change the  audio format in the Apple TV audio settings.  This is fine with the playbar as it only does Dolby digital but selecting this option with the Arc will disable Dolby Atmos.

This issue does not occur using my nvidia shield or when I used my previous TV, which was a Samsung (connected via optical cable).
So looks like this is an issue with the Apple TV and LG CX not the Arc but hopefully once Sonos update the Arc to play lossless PCM this issue may be resolved. 

Userlevel 7

I am trying to watch appletv via HDFury Arcana from Roku .     When I am in the settings for AppleTV there is no choice to change audio output.  So it’s silent.

any ideas?

To clarify, are you using the Apple TV+ app on a Roku device? If so, what are the audio settings on your Roku set to? What specific Roku device are you using?

I have the same issue with the loud “zip” sound when changing audio formats on ATV with Sonos Arc and LG CX tv. I also get that same sound on Xbox One X when I first turn it on. I hope this sound isn’t damaging my speakers! I guess I’ll avoid the ATV and hope it’s fixed when LPCM gets added. And keep the volume low when turning on Xbox. 

Badge

I have a Roku Streaming Stick + which is meant to supply sound in Atmos

The audio setting on the Roku is Auto DD+.  I get sound from all the other apps except AppleTV

I read elsewhere to change the audio in Apple tv app itself but that is not an option 

Any ideas

I’m having both issues mentioned here: the loud “zip” sound and the random interval stuttering with my Apple TV 4K, Sonos Arc, and LG CX (2020). The “zip” sound happens with my Xbox One X too. Any solutions?

Userlevel 7

@Tudor Does your Arcana have the latest firmware installed?

I am having the same loud zip issue but no audio stuttering. I own a lg cx55 hooked up to the arc through earc and an Xbox one X in hdmi 4. I see Atmos turn on in the app and then the “zip” sound occurs. I did a lot of trouble shooting with choosing different sound settings in my tv, Xbox, and the Sonos app. The only time this sound would go away is if I turned the bitstream format on the Xbox to Dolby Digital… effectively getting rid of Atmos. Hopefully this issue can get resolved through an update from lg or Sonos, I doubt its the Xbox. I’ve only had the arc for a couple of days… sounds great! but this issue gets annoying.

Userlevel 7

@Tudor Glad you got it working. FYI, the Arc doesn’t support DTS audio so you can have the HDMI setting on DD+ and it should work too.

Badge

Add me to the list. This has been driving me crazy. I’m so glad I found the post. 

Sonos Arc, connected via HDMI2 / eARC to new 2020 LG GX TV, ATV4K via HDMI1.

TV firmware, Sonos firmware and ATV firmware all up to date. 

I get as per the OP, the sound stuttering every second, resolved the same way OP describes. I hear the “zip” sound from time to time changing between the TV built in Amazon Prime and the ATV. 

I am also seeing the Sonos or the TV randomly rebooting from time to time in the middle of watching something, or occasionally, the TV turns on and the wretched Sonos will not wake up from sleep without a power-cycle to start playing Audio. 

All in all, it’s a pretty wretched experience just wanting to watch something and never knowing if it’s going to work properly. I have noticed that the drop-outs have got worse with 3.10.43 on the LG. 

My ATV says “Auto, Atmos Available” under Audio Format settings. Audio mode is “Auto”. The LG “Digital Sound Out” is set to “Auto”

I may be crazy, but when the Arc was first released, I had virtually no issues with it for the first few weeks. This all seems to be deteriorating rather than improving. 

Badge

Ok, caught the Arc randomly rebooting mid-watching AppleTV. 
Diagnostics 1493524734 time of reboot was 21:08 local time (11:08 UTC).

I hope this helps the Sonos team.