Sound cutting in and out on Sonos Arc after playing Dolby Atmos content on Apple TV 4K

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

110 replies

Hi @AjTrek1, thanks for responding so fast. 
When I changed the settings on Apple TV to Dolby Digital 5.1 and tried to play a movie in Atmos on iTunes, it didn’t play in Atmos, I couldn’t see the Dolby Atmos logo in the Sonos app either. So if I understand this correctly, if I use the setting that you suggested, all the audio that comes out from the Apple TV will either be stereo or 5.1, and won’t support Atmos? But if I use the build in Netflix app on the TV that will be able to play in Atmos? 

Hopefully the LPCM patch comes out soon! 

Userlevel 7

Hi @okgrongstad 

It’s not the TV. ATV is sending the formatted audio. All audio from your ATV process as DD5.1 if that is what the audio was recorded in. Your TV is only processing what it receives. If Dolby Atmos is sent from another source like NetFlix that’s what your TV will process if it is capable of doing so. I hope this answers your question. Feel free to ask again if not.

Sonos does not support LPCM yet. An update is said to be pushed out later. 

Cheers!

But on the Apple TV you turn on the setting called “change format” and set it to Dolby Digital 5.1 there is a message that says “Audio will be re-encoded as Dolby Digital 5.1. Turn off Change Format to improve audio quality and enable Dolby Atmos.” Does the TV bypass that then @AjTrek1

Update: I tried to change the setting, and when I tried to play something in Atmos it didn’t play in Atmos, could it be that Sonos don’t support LPCM yet? 

Userlevel 7

Hi @okgrongstad 

Changing the audio setting on your ATV as I suggested will make Dolby Digital 5.1 the default audio for all ATV programming that supports it. If the material streaming over ATV is stereo that’s what you will hear instead. 

Audio from other sources will not be affected. Your TV will process whatever audio it understands.

Cheers!

Hi @Kyle A

If I use the setting @AjTrek1 suggested, will I still get Dolby Atmos sound on the content that supports it? I’ll try it out regardless. Do you know if this eventually will be fixed in an upcoming patch? 

I say this even before I try it out, but I’m 99% sure that the short hard zip or the short buzzing sound won’t happen if I change the settings as mentioned above. This zip sound only happens sometimes when it goes from stereo to 5.1 or Dolby Atmos. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @okgrongstad, thank you for the update.

I checked the diagnostic, it shows the same errors as the other Arc diagnostics.

The TV audio signal keeps cutting in and out intermittently. It’s using the HDMI connection. 

The Arc is also receiving PCM-silence from the TV. Check the Apple TV settings as @AjTrek1 suggested.

For the buzzing, it shouldn’t buzz when switching audio sources.

I would recommend calling our Phone Support; if you still encounter issues after changing the Apple TV settings.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

This thread is marked as answered, but I don’t think that’s correct yet. 

Hey @Kyle A here’s the diagnostic number I got when the issue happened again: 1422262013

I wouldn’t call it buzzing, more of a hard zip sound, that’s best way I can describe it. It happens sometimes if I’ve watched something on YouTube (normal stereo sound) and then turn on something in Atmos, there’s a little zip sound, should this happen? If not I’ll call the support number. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @okgrongstad 

AppleTV (ATV) sends audio in LPCM by default. The Sonos Arc cannot yet interpret that codec. Make sure you change the audio in ATV under Settings > Audio/Video > to Dolby Digital 5.1. That may help. If you have already done so then please follow the advice of @Kyle A

Note: If you make the change and the problem persists you’ll need to submit another diagnostic within 10 minutes of the next occurence.

Cheers!

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @okgrongstad, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

Thank you for taking the time to troubleshoot this. 

To confirm that the issue only occurs when using the Apple TV; I would you to take a diagnostic in the Sonos app when you encounter the issue.

Setting > Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number.

For the buzzing, that shouldn’t happen whenever switching audio sources. I recommend calling our Phone support as this could be a hardware issue. 

If that’s the case, they’ll have options to address the issue; if they find something wrong with the Sonos Arc. 1 800 680 2345 Monday to Friday 10 am to 9 pm ET.

To further isolate the issue, you can also check if the audio cuts out during music playback with the Sonos app, and with an optical connection to the TV.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.