Question

Sony UBP-x700 convert DTS to DD?

• 1 December 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge +2
Just bought this UHD Blu Ray player assuming it would be fine. (Silly me) Before I take it back has anyone found that it can indeed convert DTS? I have the Beam connected to my tv using the HDMI ARC. Shame as the picture quality is incredible for the price, even on upscale standard Blu Ray discs.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
All Samsung's convert to DD5.1 via HDMI. I've got my M9500 connected to my TV via HDMI then the TV out to Sonos via optical.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Does the Samsung convert to DD via HDMI ?. I have found in the past that my previous Samsung BR player and also the Sony PS3 would only convert via Optical.
Badge +2
Just a thought but how many UHD discs only have DTS anyway?

I actually purchased the player primarily for UHD discs, I’m not that bothered about old 1080p Blu rays. I notice that discs in Atmos 7.1 convert to DD5.1 on my set up no problem. If most UHD discs will be in Atmos then I may stick with what I have. :?
Badge +2
I've used Samsung players for ages and they are brilliant at converting DTS to DD5.1 on the fly and work a treat with the Sonos kit.
'On the Fly' basically means that the player will convert the DTS audio in real time and output it as DD5.1 with no interruption to playback.

Thanks will check out Samsung I doubt I’ll get the same picture quality for the same price as the Sony. It really is good.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I've used Samsung players for ages and they are brilliant at converting DTS to DD5.1 on the fly and work a treat with the Sonos kit.
'On the Fly' basically means that the player will convert the DTS audio in real time and output it as DD5.1 with no interruption to playback.
Badge +2
Thanks. I’ve seen it used elsewhere but what exactly does the term “on the fly” mean?? Don’t want to embarrass myself back at the store....
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I have only ever read on here, that only UHD/DVD players from Samsung or Oppo will convert DTS to DD5.1 on the fly.
Xbox oneS will do it as well.