Question

Sony KD 65x9300D 5.1 set up

• 6 October 2016
  • 18 replies

Badge
Hey folks,
Looking for advise or a fix.
I just purchased a Sony KD 65x9300D tv and Sony BDP S7600 Blu Ray player.
I have a Sonos 5.1 set up and trying to get a 5.1 output from these devices is a nightmare! So far can
only get a PCM (Stereo) signal and obviously want to make the most of my Sonos 5.1 set up.
There is a setting in the blu ray that says convert DTS to Dolby digital which I have turned on. The blu ray does not have an optical out only high speed HDMI which I have connected to the TV then to the playbar via the tv's optical out.
I have tried the settings in sound on the tv but don't seem to be getting anywhere with a 5.1 output.
Anyone have this tv/player and can offer advise or anyone in the community offer advise please! Would soooooo appreciate it

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Is the Advanced Audio Sound Setting set to "Auto 1"? I think it's set to PCM as default.
Do you only get stereo if you play a DVD (which should have a Dolby 5.1 track on it to start with). Or have you only tried Blu-rays (which may not have DD5:1). I ask purely as a troubleshooting measure.
Badge
Hey guys, yes I have tried all 3 settings in tv sound , Auto 1, Auto 2 and PCM. PCM is the only option that will output sound.
I have only tried blu rays so far but will try a DVD. Pretty certain it will only put out a stereo sound if tv output is PCM only! So annoying!!! I used to have Samsung gear and had no issue!
Pretty certain it's because the DVD player has no optical out (only hi speed HDMI) to the TV. My Samsung blu ray had an optical out I had connected to a splitter so could connect to the playbar directly.
If you're using a player (Blueray or DVD), make sure that the output sound on that is set appropriately. It may be, for instance, passing DTS to your TV via the HDMI, which will mean that nothing will show up under the auto1 or auto 2, and only show up on PCM (because it's being forced into stereo).

The problem may not be with the TV or the Sonos speakers, the problem may be with the source!

In all cases, check the sound setup for each device in the chain. In your case, the player that is connected to the TV. Once you've checked that, then check the settings for sound on the TV itself (usually bitstream is best). Then you can be sure that an appropriate signal is being sent out the optical cable to the Sonos, and it should work.

It's a pain to have to look at each device that is connected to the TV and sending a signal along, but you usually only have to do it once. (For instance, you'd need to do it on the Blueray player, the XBox, the PlayStation, etc).
Badge
Hey Air- yeah have the setting from blu ray player set so that it has the option of turning DTS into Dolby digital turned on so know that parts correct- but no matter what other setting I select on the TV it still only gives me sound from PCM option.
Hey Air- yeah have the setting from blu ray player set so that it has the option of turning DTS into Dolby digital turned on so know that parts correct- but no matter what other setting I select on the TV it still only gives me sound from PCM option.
I'm not sure you know that for certain, and running a DVD with a DD5.1 track would help to confirm where in the process the problem is occurring. Sony TVs are generally able to pass through DD5.1 so this is still surprising and I can't believe it's impossible to make this work.

Are you sure you are testing the TV audio out settings for the digital optical output, not some other audio output option?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
just to help identify the root of the issue - does the TV itself output 5.1 from its own sources (free to air, smart TV apps) or is that PCM also ?
Badge
You could try an HDMI splitter and output the 5.1 separately via Toslink, get them at Amazon, check the bandwidth, cheaper ones wont pass 4K.

But heads up if you do decide to persevere with the settings there could still be issues. I had a problem with my Panasonic Viera 58DX902B coupled with Panasonic DMP-UB900, PS4 and satellite STB. I could only get stereo out of any of them until I found the combination of settings that got them all to work together, all 4 required changing. Now then when I did get them to output correctly the lag between the audio and video was horrific, sound lagging vision (possible due to the amount of processing 4K Tv's carry out or possibly that same manufacturer components force their own settings) therefore you "may" find another issue when you do get it working. I chose to take the optical out from all of them via an optical switch.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
If the TV is set to PCM it won't output 5.1 at all. On the Sony TV's you must set it to Auto 1 or 2 (I use Auto 1 on mine).
@Slo_Mo_Shun. OP has said his Blu-Ray has no Toslink output.

@Atterking - OP has said he has tried all settings
Badge

Thats why I suggested HDMI splitter.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

@Atterking - OP has said he has tried all settings

Yes and he also said PCM is the only option that gives sound. If he's still set to PCM then no matter what he does with the source he'll only get stereo. My point here is to ensure the OP is using Auto 1 whilst diagnosing the source.

Thats why I suggested HDMI splitter.

OK fair enough, that might help, depending on where the problem is, which we don't know yet. If DD5.1 is coming down the HDMI, and Sony is capable of passing 5.1 (which they generally are) then it should be fine without the splitter. If DD5.1 is not coming down the HDMI, the splitter will be no use. If passthrough is the problem, it would help.
Badge
Hey guys- so I called Tech Support at Sonyand he ran me through the settings. We did try a regular DVD with 5.1 and sound was fine and was set to auto 1 in Sony TV sound settings.
We tried again with a bluesy disc and still nothing!! Only sound we got was from PCM. Even the tech guy said he was stumped because all the settings on the bluesy player and tv were set to convert DTS to 5.1.
He escalated the case and has passed it onto Sony Australia's top home theatre Tech to try find out what's going on! Watch this space........
I thought the DVD might shed some light. Is there any possibility that the Blu-ray player is not selecting the DTS track from the Blu-ray disk in the first place? Blu-ray disks often (always?) have HiRes audio tracks so maybe the DTS to DD5.1 conversion isn't coming into play? So the TV receives HiRes audio and downmixes it so as to be able to put it out over optical? That's really speculative - not really my field of expertise. Once you have loaded a Blu-ray disk can you choose which audio track is played?
Badge
Hi John B
I have tried selecting all other selections in the blu ray sound options- back of disc says it's DTS.
Didn't have this issue with my previous Samsung set up! Starting to think I should have stuck with what I know! 😕
Badge
Also- I have tried some content using Netflix app on the TV. I tried a couple of 4K titles. 2 played in PCM, 1 played in 5.1. All HD content played in 5.1.
Badge
Hi there,
Thought I would pass on some information you may find beneficial.

Sonos playbar/5.1 setup is not compatible (for DTS to 5.1 Sound) with Sony bdp s6700 blu ray player connected to a Sony 65x9500d. (Or a higher model Sony tv I have been told)

The sound is decoded by a Sony blu ray player from DTS to 5.1 but it has no optical output so only way to connect is via the tv's optical out and the tv cannot decode the DTS to 5.1 so only plays PCM (stereo) - which sucks if you have a 5.1 setup (like I do!) This is confirmed by Sony's technical engineers!
Can only get 5.1 if the original source is 5.1 such as a DVD or something from Netflix as an example.

It's crap of Sony to have this stupid technology so will bbe battling hem for a full refund so I can purchase a Samsung which I know can decode DTS to 5.1 (as you can bypass the tv via an optical switch!)

Regards
Dave